Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2008, 10:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Plumbing/Elec/Foundation Cost Estimates

I've looked at multiple sites over the last couple of weeks trying to get rough estimates for electrical, plumbing, etc. However, figures seem to be all over the place. I plan to GC my own project as my DIY skills just aren't there. I live in CT (Fairfield County - I know, huge mark ups in this area) and I'm in the process of working through the cost estimation process of electrical, plumbing, and foundation work for a new home - basically I'm looking for guidance from folks who have done this before and any other advice on GCing a project of this size they might wish to share. Below are the basics - if anyone can suggest rough estimates or ranges I would be very grateful. I've seen too many contractors abuse quotes in the past and I'd like to get some reality checks along the way given the size of this effort.

House: 2500 sq/ft.
Garage: 520 sq/ft
Foundation: 1000 sq/ft basement - 10'; rest is planned to be on slab or crawl space (suggestions on this?). Will not be a walk out basement - intended for home theater/entertainment/private cave. This will be topped by engineered support beams.
Bathrooms: 3.5
Tubs: 1; rest are shower stalls
Sinks: 6
Utility Sink: 1
HAVAC: Forced Air
Kitchen: 1 double sink with fridge water dispenser
Roofs: Flat and single pitch. The later to be covered by raised seem metal roofing.

The house is a single story contemporary with 10' ceilings under flat roof portions and cathedral under the tilt pitch sections. The entire envelope will use SIPs, and all windows/glass will be 4E double pane (series 200 from Andersen). There won't be any recessed lighting in the ceilings - using track lighting, wall and ceiling mounts. I do want to have at least 2 floor sockets in the GR which is about 600 sq/ft. All mechanicals are planned to be in the garage which will be heated/cooled to take advantage of the SIP construction (similar to a Florida home). This maximizes available space in the basement area.

For the foundation I've looked at Oasis which makes pre-cast/finshed concrete basement panels. Currently working with a $120 l/ft. figure. Maybe more? Less? Other options other than poured concrete?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Last edited by ACamp; 07-17-2008 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Font problems and clarification
ACamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:25 PM   #2
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

I'm not sure anyone here would be interested in quoting your project without any faint possibility of getting the job. If i'm mistaken and that's not what you're asking, forgive me, but your post is a mess and I can't really understand it.

Not only that, but your description of plumbing fixtures are extremely vague, and without a layout of the house, it would be difficult.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:15 AM   #3
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

I agree with Alan. This is a DIY site. We are here to help you complete your own projects, not to get pricing.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:05 AM   #4

- Angus, Alan - Sorry if my questions bother you. I'm simply trying to get as much information as I can. I based my note on multiple threads in this site from people who asked the same type of questions I'm asking now. If you are a contractor in my area then by all means please send me a private message and I'll be glad to discuss it further - I plan to GC my project, not do actual work beyond maybe installing toilets and sinks. I have no pretensions about my skill craft in handling saws or hammers, but I'm quite comfortable managing the process, and that, to me, is part of DIY. Sorry you found my questions bothersome or confusing. I've edited my original post to clean up the font problems that seem to have messed up the original message, and made clear on the post what I'm doing and why.

Last edited by ACamp; 07-17-2008 at 08:13 AM. Reason: clarification.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:50 AM   #5
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

You didn't bother anyone. We were just letting you know this is primarily a DIY site. Someone may come along and answer your questions. Just don't expect it. On some threads where pricing was discussed, they got kinda ugly. As long as you understand what this site is about, you can adjust your expectations.

Ya know, most estimates are free. Why not start getting qualified people in your area to give you some. After that, now you have something more substantial to discuss. Does this sound fair? Does this method meet code requirements? Why is this estimate so much higher than the others?

Last edited by angus242; 07-17-2008 at 09:17 AM.
angus242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:10 AM   #6

You may want to try Contractortalk.com
BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:19 AM   #7

Angus, thanks. You make some good points and my mistakes, well.....lets just call them new guy tracks. I will be speaking to contractors as I move forward and if someone on this site decides to reply then all the better. My thinking was simply to get multiple perspectives from multiple sources.

Billy, thanks to you to. I will post there and see what comes.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACamp View Post
I've looked at multiple sites over the last couple of weeks trying to get rough estimates for electrical, plumbing, etc. However, figures seem to be all over the place. I plan to GC my own project as my DIY skills just aren't there. I live in CT (Fairfield County - I know, huge mark ups in this area) and I'm in the process of working through the cost estimation process of electrical, plumbing, and foundation work for a new home - basically I'm looking for guidance from folks who have done this before and any other advice on GCing a project of this size they might wish to share. Below are the basics - if anyone can suggest rough estimates or ranges I would be very grateful. I've seen too many contractors abuse quotes in the past and I'd like to get some reality checks along the way given the size of this effort.

House: 2500 sq/ft.
Garage: 520 sq/ft
Foundation: 1000 sq/ft basement - 10'; rest is planned to be on slab or crawl space (suggestions on this?). Will not be a walk out basement - intended for home theater/entertainment/private cave. This will be topped by engineered support beams.
Bathrooms: 3.5
Tubs: 1; rest are shower stalls
Sinks: 6
Utility Sink: 1
HAVAC: Forced Air
Kitchen: 1 double sink with fridge water dispenser
Roofs: Flat and single pitch. The later to be covered by raised seem metal roofing.

The house is a single story contemporary with 10' ceilings under flat roof portions and cathedral under the tilt pitch sections. The entire envelope will use SIPs, and all windows/glass will be 4E double pane (series 200 from Andersen). There won't be any recessed lighting in the ceilings - using track lighting, wall and ceiling mounts. I do want to have at least 2 floor sockets in the GR which is about 600 sq/ft. All mechanicals are planned to be in the garage which will be heated/cooled to take advantage of the SIP construction (similar to a Florida home). This maximizes available space in the basement area.

For the foundation I've looked at Oasis which makes pre-cast/finshed concrete basement panels. Currently working with a $120 l/ft. figure. Maybe more? Less? Other options other than poured concrete?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
RS Means publishes data on how long tasks take and how much to charge for them based on your ZIP code.

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote