Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2010, 05:11 PM   #1

Share |

Plumbing Diagram Assistance

I am a handy DIY and new to this forum. I am building a cottage this summer and will do the plumbing myself. It has a basement, mainfloor and a loft - the diagram is laid out as such. I have prepared my first rough draft of an isometric plumbing diagram. I have 2 soil stacks as I want to keep the greywater and blackwater seperate so that when legislation is passed in Alberta, Canada, I will have options. I am going to initially have both stacks empty into a holding tank(s). Would appreciate some advise on what is missing (cleanouts for example) and what is wrong on this diagram.

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PlumbingDiagram.pdf (12.6 KB, 477 views)

bdaub is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bdaub For This Useful Post:
toogun (04-28-2010)
Old 05-05-2010, 12:49 PM   #2

Your design looks pretty good, everything looks vented properly. As far as cleanouts are concerned, you should provide a cleanout on any horizontal lines that change direction every 90 degrees. So, the shower on the right side looks like it offsets with two 45 degree elbows, you should have a cleanout on the 2nd 45 elbow. You should also have a clean out on any lines that go from vertical to horizontal. Also, a cleanout on any vertical lines right before they penetrate the slab to the underground (if thats where their going).

Another issue I see you might have a problem with is the several fixtures on the lower level on the stack on the right side (especially the floor drain). You have the washing machine dump into the stack at the 2nd floor which will create a suds pressure zone at the point you transition horizontal below the 1st floor. If you connect the line from the floor drain and other fixtures into this stack at the wrong location, you will get suds percolating up out of the floor drain from the washing machine upstairs. You need to avoid any connection into the stack 40 pipe diameters up the stack, and 10 pipe diameters down the stack after it transitions to a horizontal run under the 1st floor. Connecting into the suds pressure zone of the stack will create suds problems for you in the future.

The Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:37 PM   #3

thanks Engineer - I appreciate the help
Old 05-05-2010, 06:38 PM   #4

Nothing technically "wrong" with your diagram but, I see a lot of redundancy. Depending on the distances all three of the individual vents on the second floor could probably be eliminated. On the first floor the shower and floor drain could probably be wet vented eliminating two more individual vents. Same goes for the basement. I count nine vents in your diagram that could probably be eliminated.
SuperPlumberGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:42 AM   #5

Thanks for the comments, "SuperPG" - don't want to do any more work than I have to. Are you saying the venting could be eliminated or would the horizontal lines be circuit vented? If circuit vented, my understanding is that the circuit vented line needs to be 3" and I was going to keep the greywater side at 2".
Old 05-06-2010, 09:27 AM   #6

GO to this website and look at "10.22 figures" look at figures 4,5, and 6.
Venting is hard to describe I hope these diagrams help

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=ocatermi...sid=Eoca#10.22
SuperPlumberGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:04 PM   #7

Thanks SuperPG, great dsite for reference (for a novice anyways). Im starting to think that I need to post my floor plans as the diagrams I've posted do not indicate distances, pipe size etc
Old 05-25-2010, 03:28 PM   #8

I am new to this and looking to learn on how to do things. Sorry I ask but what are cleanouts and what purpose do they serve, and how to get them done?

Thanks
Felipe
Felipe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:06 PM   #9
Leak Master

I don't see the Isometric drawing, just a flat drawing.
O'Leaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felipe71 View Post
I am new to this and looking to learn on how to do things. Sorry I ask but what are cleanouts and what purpose do they serve, and how to get them done?

Thanks
Felipe
Cleanouts are for access to the interior of the piping to run a snake down through in case of a clog or other issue with drainage in the line. There are specific requirements where cleanouts must be installed, like at the base of a stack where the line transitions horizontal from the vertical, at any change in direction of 90 degrees, in the vertical section of a piping before it goes underground, etc... They are typically a DWV tee fitting with a cap on the end so you can unscrew the cap to access the inside of the piping.

The Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote