Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2011, 12:19 PM   #1

Share |
Plumbing connection to washer

I am going to connect the drain plumbing for a front load Kenmore clothes washer. Do I need to add anything to the existing single 1 1/2" drain pipe to accommodate the new washer. I do not have the washer yet. The sears sales men said I would need to change the drain set up, but did not know how. what is needed to add to the existing drain:
Dawemv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
the Musigician

Please do not post questions in the "How to Guides" section.

Moved to plumbing section where people will see it.

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
call me E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawemv View Post
I am going to connect the drain plumbing for a front load Kenmore clothes washer. Do I need to add anything to the existing single 1 1/2" drain pipe to accommodate the new washer. I do not have the washer yet. The sears sales men said I would need to change the drain set up, but did not know how. what is needed to add to the existing drain:
Modern code requires a 2" drain. Perhaps that is what he is referring to. Can you post a picture of your current set up so we can see what you got?
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Modern code requires a 2" drain. Perhaps that is what he is referring to. Can you post a picture of your current set up so we can see what you got?
I do not have a picture. Existing I have an open end 1 1/2" drain pipe with the regular goose neck. The open end is where I put the washer drain hose.Is there something wrong with this existing pipe. I do not have access to get to the main 3" drain pipe in the wall. Can I still use the 1 1/2" pipe, if not why not. Or do I remove the existing 1 1/2" pipe as far as possible and replace it with 2" and reduce to 1 1/2" at the wall.
Dawemv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:28 PM   #5

if you have to change it you would have to run 2 inch all the way. i know the large top loaders will almost pump a full 1-1/2 pipe full. never had a front loader but i have heard they dont use as much water. check the specs on the washer you bought and see if it says anything about drain size.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:02 AM   #6

Purchase the washer , hook up the drain line loop to your 11/2 pipe and run a couple loads see if the 11/2 " pipe can handle the flow if not enlarge the line to 2". You need a new washer anyway. Plus you don't want Sears to be changing your drain line anyway.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:40 AM   #7

Quote:
I do not have a picture. Existing I have an open end 1 1/2" drain pipe with the regular goose neck. The open end is where I put the washer drain hose.Is there something wrong with this existing pipe. I do not have access to get to the main 3" drain pipe in the wall. Can I still use the 1 1/2" pipe, if not why not. Or do I remove the existing 1 1/2" pipe as far as possible and replace it with 2" and reduce to 1 1/2" at the wall.
code prohibits reduction in size as you move downstream. It will cause backups and flooding
plumberinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:09 AM   #8
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Highly recommend replacing the 1-1/2" drain with 2" all the way to where it connects with the mainline or at least to another 2" pipe.

Or hire someone to do it. Your standpipe is going to back up, no questions about it.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:11 AM   #9
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
if you have to change it you would have to run 2 inch all the way. i know the large top loaders will almost pump a full 1-1/2 pipe full. never had a front loader but i have heard they dont use as much water. check the specs on the washer you bought and see if it says anything about drain size.
They use less water, but they pump the water out faster from what i've seen.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Do you need a laundry tray/tub at that location? If so, maybe consider installing one and hanging the washer drain hose on the rim. The tub acts as a reservoir to give the small drain size time to drain without worrying about standpipe overflow.

HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote