Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Plumbing Code Clarification

Regarding "Size of Fixture Supply", my code states:

The fixture supply pipe shall not terminate more than 24 inches from the point of connection to the fixture.

I'm trying to understand this. I think what confuses me is how "terminate" is defined in this code. I'm taking a guess that,, since all fixtures must have shutoff valves, then this must be the point of "terminatation". So, my personal interpretation is that, the distance between the fixture and shutoff valve cannot be more than 24 inches.

Taking this premise one step further: In a shower install, I would guess that the fixture here is the shower trim (i.e. hot and cold valves) as well as the shower head. It seems the shower head alone would violate code as IT would "terminate" well beyond 24".

Can anyone with experience please comment / clarify. (I'm certain I've got something mixed up here). Thanks, in advance.

nixplix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixplix View Post

The fixture supply pipe shall not terminate more than 24 inches from the point of connection to the fixture.

I'm trying to understand this. I think what confuses me is how "terminate" is defined in this code. I'm taking a guess that,, since all fixtures must have shutoff valves, then this must be the point of "terminatation". So, my personal interpretation is that, the distance between the fixture and shutoff valve cannot be more than 24 inches.

Taking this premise one step further: In a shower install, I would guess that the fixture here is the shower trim (i.e. hot and cold valves) as well as the shower head. It seems the shower head alone would violate code as IT would "terminate" well beyond 24".

Can anyone with experience please comment / clarify. (I'm certain I've got something mixed up here). Thanks, in advance.
I"m not familiar with that code but my guess would be the same as yours in regards to faucets- 24" max. developed length on the supply line. You can get shower valves with integral stops, common sense says shower heads would not apply

Old 08-15-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixplix View Post

you are basically correct.
y

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote