Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2012, 10:37 PM   #1

Share |

Plumbing Check, new 2nd floor bath.

Gonna restart this thread with 3d models rather than start new thread.

this is a new 2nd floor bath, I have about 12" of subfloor space to work with. the tub overflow/drain entrance is a little off in height in the drawing and the P-traps are obviously sized strangely....this is the best i could do with my first try.

Big questions are, do those WYE's look ok, they will be horizontal in relation to the 3" drain pipe...(i understand this is ok because it maintains directional flow, right?).

Toilet will be within about 30 inches of the lav, so it will use that vent. Tub will be vented as shown. (i will have complete access, via the attic, to 3 exterior walls of this bathroom, so that is why the vent goes like that, above the bathroom, its actually the easiest route).

Please assume that all drains and vents are sloped appropriately, and all connections are solid, even though the render may not show that!

THANKS!

Last edited by jcrack_corn; 03-14-2012 at 11:08 PM.
jcrack_corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:41 AM   #2

This is find,
However, it's not really necessary ( or professionally preferred) to cut the vent and add additional venting, as long as the horizontal vent pipe is 6" about the highest fixture flood rim. Venting to the roof should always be combined to minimize roof vents, when possible.

cruiser2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cruiser2000 For This Useful Post:
jaydevries (03-02-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser2000 View Post
This is find,
However, it's not really necessary ( or professionally preferred) to cut the vent and add additional venting, as long as the horizontal vent pipe is 6" about the highest fixture flood rim. Venting to the roof should always be combined to minimize roof vents, when possible.

Thanks!

now the horizontal branch will not be above the new fixtures...I may have to add a vent for the new bathroom (due to roof slope) and use that existing stack as waste drain and vent (as is).

Last edited by jcrack_corn; 03-02-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:56 AM   #4

here is a new drawing (sorry, i dont have any cad software) showing more accurate representations of how things are arranged. The existing 3" stack on the right cant be used to vent the new bathroom because of the roof slope (it will be below the fixtures).

So the plan is to use it as the waste drain...it will still vent the 1st floor fixtures on that side of the house (vent branch will enter stack ABOVE the new drain tee).

The new 2nd floor bath plumbing will have a 3 inch drain/vent at the lav that goes through the roof. Toilet will be the first fixture, then the lav/vent, then the tub/shower (and it will have a vent branch back to the new 3" stack)...from there it flows to the existing 3" vent stack.

Sound about right? If the new 3" vent is overkill I can reduce to 2"....

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2012, 05:34 AM   #5
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

2nd picture looks doable to me depending on how far toilet is from sink
Old 03-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummen View Post
2nd picture looks doable to me depending on how far toilet is from sink
Thanks! It is only about ~24 inches from the lav....the pic is not scale at all! I really just wanted to represent that I would have to run a new Vent for the bath due to the height above the current vent/waste stack, but it would actually drain to the current vent/waste stack.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

Old 03-14-2012, 11:10 PM   #8

---BUMP WITH NEW RENDERS, COPY OF NEW 1st post below, please critique/advise, THANKS---

Gonna restart this thread with 3d models rather than start new thread.

this is a new 2nd floor bath, I have about 12" of subfloor space to work with. the tub overflow/drain entrance is a little off in height in the drawing and the P-traps are obviously sized strangely....this is the best i could do with my first try.

Big questions are, do those WYE's look ok, they will be horizontal in relation to the 3" drain pipe...(i understand this is ok because it maintains directional flow, right?).

Toilet will be within about 30 inches of the lav, so it will use that vent. Tub will be vented as shown. (i will have complete access, via the attic, to 3 exterior walls of this bathroom, so that is why the vent goes like that, above the bathroom, its actually the easiest route).

Please assume that all drains and vents are sloped appropriately, and all connections are solid, even though the render may not show that!

THANKS!

Old 03-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #9

bump

any opinions/problems with the proposed plumbing? model looks good to go?