Plumbing In Basement...SUGGESTIONS? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2009, 12:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Plumbing in basement...SUGGESTIONS?

I am going to be finishing my basement soon but I need to move the plumbing rough ins about 20 ft. Therefore the floor needs to be cut up to move them. Does anyone have any suggestions of whether I should try to do this myself or hire someone to do it for me? Also, should I look for a plumber to do this or a general contractor? If anyone has had this done, what kind of price estimate do think I would be looking at? Any help would be great.

Advertisement

gabel6971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
Kekeever

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabel6971 View Post
I am going to be finishing my basement soon but I need to move the plumbing rough ins about 20 ft. Therefore the floor needs to be cut up to move them. Does anyone have any suggestions of whether I should try to do this myself or hire someone to do it for me? Also, should I look for a plumber to do this or a general contractor? If anyone has had this done, what kind of price estimate do think I would be looking at? Any help would be great.
I would hire a general contractor. The plumber will be good for the plumbing but laying out for the demo and making things least invasive is where the GC comes in. You definitely don't want a plumber putting your floor back together. Also a GC should be able to anticipate non plumbing issues with your project and provide you with a better sense of cost.

Advertisement

Kyle Keever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,266

Only you can answer the DIY question. Depends upon your skills and mostly desire/motivation. I agree that hiring a GC would probably be a better choice than hiring a plumber but if you're comfortable with demoing and repairing the concrete work and anything else in the way (walls?) a plumber would be a good choice.

One thing to keep in mind. If you are moving 20' further from your main stack then you might run into issues maintaining drain slope without raising the floor level. If you are going 20" closer then probably not an issue.
jogr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:53 PM   #4

maybe check out "saniflo" system. the water closet has a maserator and will also handle the lav and shower. waste exits vertically through a 3/4" pvc pipe. about 800 bucks, but cheap compared to conventional method.
dale's nails is offline   Reply With Quote