DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Plumbing a basement bathroom

4K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  stradt03 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I am finishing the basement and would like to put in a half bath. I have superior walls (as seen in the picture below). The markings on the floor are the rough locations of the vanity and toilet....I think I may move the vanity up against the wall rather than leaving a gap between the two.

I have PEX plumbing all throughout the house and the manablock in ~4-5 ft away on the other side of the bathroom wall.

Basically I am clueless when it comes to plumbing code and proper routing of lines. Can someone shed some light on what the best way to go about getting the lines for the toilet and vanity run? Can I just run them through the predrilled holes in the superior studs?

Pics are a few posts down

Thanks in advance!!

Jason

#2 ·
Drains go in first---then the water---

Is someone else installing the drains?

Will this go to a sewage pit or main line?

Could you resize the picture?(most people won't look at a post that over fills the screen)

---Mike----

#3 ·
oh'mike said:
Drains go in first---then the water---

Is someone else installing the drains?

Will this go to a sewage pit or main line?

Could you resize the picture?(most people won't look at a post that over fills the screen)

---Mike----
I'd like to consult with a local plumber and try to do most of the work myself...including the drains.

Yes the drains will have to go to a sewage pit unless I do an up flusher. I would rather do a sewage pit though.

I'll try to resize the pics.

#13 ·
No licensed plumbers have looked in---today is Saturday---some one will help today--If not ,I'll help

This is an amazing little site---If I do give you some 'less than the best' advice--someone will jump right in and set me straight---Mike----

#14 ·
I can't say what the PA inspectors wan,t but being a remodel, I would tie into an existing 2" or larger vent at least 42" above the floor(upstairs). Sometimes it's easy to take the vent up through a closet corner and make a tie in in the attic rather then patching walls.

If this was new work, I'd have to vent the pump separate through the roof- no other connections. PA may want this on remodels too. So it may be wise to pay a local plumber for his consultation time. Oh, and how do you propose to vent the new fixtures? Are auto vents legal there?

#16 ·
I called the local code enforcement officer. To my surprise he said that there are no required inspections for finishing the basement and adding a half bath unless I was making a change to supporting structure or foundation. He also said that the local code is International Building Code. I THOUGHT he said IBC 2006. Does this make sense?

#15 ·
TheEplumber said:
I can't say what the PA inspectors wan,t but being a remodel, I would tie into an existing 2" or larger vent at least 42" above the floor(upstairs). Sometimes it's easy to take the vent up through a closet corner and make a tie in in the attic rather then patching walls.

If this was new work, I'd have to vent the pump separate through the roof- no other connections. PA may want this on remodels too. So it may be wise to pay a local plumber for his consultation time. Oh, and how do you propose to vent the new fixtures? Are auto vents legal there?
I'll have to look into the local code. Thanks for the info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.