Plumbing - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 11:53 PM   #1
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10
Thumbs up


I dropped a knife in my stainless steel sink, it punched a small hole in my sink, what can i use to patch this hole ......(something that comes in a tube hopefully)....thanks........


hershel stagnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:55 AM   #2
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta area
Posts: 61
Rewards Points: 75
Blog Entries: 73


The first thing that comes to mind is a product called "JB Weld" which is a metal bonding agent in a tube. The repair may not be pretty but if the hole isnt too big it should work. You should be able to find it at any auto parts or hardware store.


faucetman886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:26 AM   #3
Registered User
Termite's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,520
Rewards Points: 2,000

JB Weld would probably be the best thing to use, and even that might not work. Be sure to sand the surface of the sink at the location of the repair first in an effort to get a good bond. JB Weld is a two part epoxy-like material, and it dries hard as a rock and dark gray color.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:39 AM   #4
Learning by Doing
Leah Frances's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Easton, Maryland
Posts: 3,156
Rewards Points: 2,000
Blog Entries: 7

Making this work is all about surface preparation - especially on a kitchen sink. I would start with a thorough scrub of the bowl, inside and out, with a good grease cutting detergent,
-I've used JB weld to patch a crack in a radiator.
- first I ground down to bare metal with my rotary tool to remove any rust and rough-up the surface,
- then I cleaned the surface with acetone and allowed it to dry
- then followed with ETOH and applied the JB weld as soon as the ETOH evaporated.

I used painter's tape to support and mask the repair and then I sanded it (with the rotary tool) to smooth and blend the edges.
If I could only remember to THINK about what I was doing before I did it.
Leah Frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,670
Rewards Points: 1,000

I agree with the JB Weld as it is a great product. My choice would be to do the repair from the outside/bottom of the sink. Clean an area surrounding the hole and apply the product. Smooth out any overage inside the sink. This will make the repair as small as possible from the inside, which should look much better.
If you have never made a mistake, you haven't done much.
majakdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:00 PM   #6
Plumbing Contractor
JDC's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 398
Rewards Points: 262

Good tip majakdragon. I've repaired a stainless steel 3 compartment sink just like you've described and it turned out....well as nice as a repair can be. lol not as good as a new sink, but the owner of the restaraunt was a bit strapped for cash so this worked out well until a new one could be bought. Instead of jb weld though, I used a two part epoxy putty. JB Weld should do great though.


JDC is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want to tile bathroom - raise plumbing? wombosi Plumbing 2 11-13-2008 07:54 PM
plumbing a new sink kchiasson Plumbing 1 09-23-2008 03:04 PM
missed the plumbing in the slab!!! fauer Plumbing 7 03-03-2008 07:37 PM
Connecting new plumbing into existing plumbing Just do it guy Plumbing 2 02-18-2008 09:36 PM
new plumbing in kitchen What have I done Plumbing 1 07-29-2006 11:14 AM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1