Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2011, 07:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Plumbing a 2x4 Exterior Wall

My first post! This has been talked about in other threads but I have a twist in my situation. I have a home built in 1986 - the drain plumbing was run down through the basement exterior wall. The basement walls are 2x4 but are offset from the cement probably 2 to 3 inches. So effectively a 2x6 wall. The drain is on the warm side of the insulation but is behind the drywall.

I now want to add a wet bar and sink on the same outside wall. So the drain must extended horizontally inside this exterior wall. Again, it will be on the warm side of the insulation but inside the wall. I plan to reinforce the studs with metal struts after they have been notched. This is NOT a load bearing wall and carries no weight whatsoever (other than itself).

In addition, I need to run the hot and cold water supply lines vertically down this same wall. I plan to use Plex piping because I don't want to disturb the existing drywall any more than necessary.

Is this all to code and anything I should be concerned about. Any help is appreciated!

batdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
BIGRED

Rewards Points: 250

Code varies wildly by location, country, state, county, city, what have you. Generally water lines in an outside wall in Northern climates is not a good idea. Other than that you should be OK.

Grampa Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa Bud View Post
Code varies wildly by location, country, state, county, city, what have you. Generally water lines in an outside wall in Northern climates is not a good idea. Other than that you should be OK.

Thanks Grampa! I live in Canada so definately "Northern". I will have an experience plumber look at the situation. I have no choice but to make this work somehow.

I can run the drain along the outside of the wall (would be inside the cabinets) but for the water lines, I have no choice but to run them in the wall.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #4

By the way, this is a basement wall. So even though its an exterior wall (east facing) it seems pretty warm if I stick my hand back there, even now in winter.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:15 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,450

I appreciate your concern about piping in exterior basement walls, however, it is pretty standard in my area. And we do have extreme cold for periods of time. It hasn't been above freezing for about 2 weeks now. Cold drafts are a major concern and if your basement is backfilled you should be fine. Your plumber should make the work code compiant too.
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:21 PM   #6

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, the basement is backfilled. The top maybe 12" of the pipes would be above ground, all the rest below ground. But as you suggest (and I planned to anyway), I'll have an experienced plumber take a look. In my city, home owners cannot take out a plumbing permit and cannot do ANY modifications to existing plumbing. So although I could do this myself, I am not allowed to.