Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2009, 09:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Plumbers - should I protest this pricing?

A large, reputable plumbing company sent a guy out to check my unit
for CO. He found a leak in the vent to the outside wall (under floor unit)
and estimated $252 to fix. He said the unit would have to be loosened and
lifted to replace the leaking elbow, so I said OK.

Next day installers come (different guys) and are in and out in a half hour.
Obviously the unit did not have to be moved. Should I question the pricing
or just resign myself to what I consider overpaying?

(Sorry- should have placed this under HVAC but was thinking
about the PVC vent line when I posted)

Last edited by mainstreetprod; 02-02-2009 at 09:59 AM.
mainstreetprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:42 AM   #2

Not really sure what kind of unit you are talking about moving but it's kinda crappy he told you they would be moving it and then didn't have to but on the other hand if they would have taken 8 hours to do the job would you have paid more than the estimate?

ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:55 AM   #3

Actually, yes. Fair is fair. For $252, in our market, I would expect the job to take between two and three hours.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:42 PM   #4

I understand where you are coming from but you guys had a set price, they weren't working buy the hour. Next time ask them if they will do time and materials. You pay them for their materials and then a set per hour per guy amount. Did you get more than one estimate? If you get 2-3 estimates and they ae all in the same range and you agree to pay that amount it doesn't matter if it takes them 3 minutes or 3 days, that is the price for that job. That's part of doing business, sometimes they make money and sometimes they don't break even. If you had gotten 3 estimates and the other two were only 100 bucks then you would have know this guy was taking you for easy money. I'm not putting you down in any way, just stating that you agreed on a fair price and the work you asked for was done. It is kinda crapy that the estimator told you they would need to remove the unit and then never did but maybe he was figuring on the worse case scenario. If he quoted you 100 bucks and then found out he had to move the unit and it was going to take 10 times as long to do the job MOST people would say they aren't going to pay anymore because they have an agreed upon price to do the job and that is what they are going to pay. That is how construction works most of the time, unless you did a time and material job, then you pay for how ever long it takes to do the job.

If this was me I would say 250 dollars fixed whatever issue you had and use it as a learning experience(I've had many learning experiences which cost alot more than that) and next time get 3 bids to see if the prices match or ask if they will do time and materials. Good Luck
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:29 PM   #5

There's not a single thing keeping you from protesting...so go for it.

On the other hand, it sounds like you had up-front pricing...that you agreed to and authorized the work to be done, so I'm afraid your plight would fall on deaf ears. Ponch is right...chalk it up to a learning experience. AND don't go bashing the guys you hired...it really isn't their fault.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:39 PM   #6

Well, their slogan is "happy you'll be or your service is free". And I'm not happy. I agree with the notion that the price was agreed upon before hand- BUT it was based on the assumption that the unit would have to be moved. And it wasn't necessary. And it seems to me that an experienced installer would be able to take one look and know that.

Last edited by mainstreetprod; 02-02-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:19 PM   #7

Use the form on their web site to send all the details to Jimmy and see what they'll do for ya....it looks like you have your answer in 24 hours. It won't hurt a thing will it?
Old 02-02-2009, 05:10 PM   #8

If there a reputable company, i think you should call them, I own my own buisness and i would definilty want to know if a customer was unhappy, A buisness owner doesn't want to lose repeat buisness. It seems steep to me, but then again if it took ten hours you still would of only paid @$250. If he doesn't want to give a refund see if you can get a discount on any other work you might need done in the future.

zosoplumber is offline   Reply With Quote