Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2007, 05:13 AM   #1

Share |

plumbers shark bite fittings

I have never used these new fittings,just ordered some and am about to try them out any body have any pointers for me before I try a fitting,if things get to bad I have the tool to remove the fitting.

jburkeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 07:24 PM   #2

Like Tony the tiger says their grrrrrrrrreat !! They work really good I have a full assortment of them I only use them in a pinch , most important thing to do is make sure your the pipe is free of burrs , I like to sand the pipe first and lightly file the end .

tzzzz216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:29 AM   #3

thanks TZZZZ216,are they that easy to use.push in once, push in a second time and twist,connection made.good to go.
jburkeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:23 AM   #4

It sure is 1, 2 , 3, knock wood a haven't had a problem with one yet , let me know how you make out with them .
tzzzz216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:51 PM   #5
remodeling pro

The only thing I have used them for is to cap off existing lines that had to be cut off during remodeling work. They sure beat having to drain the system down and fight the dripping water problem just to solder temporary caps on. Work fantastic for that, but I personally don't think I would want them inside my walls until they have a longer track record.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:23 AM   #6

In my area, they fall under the same category as compression fittings. This means they cannot be used anywhere except in places they can be seen at all times.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:17 AM   #7

I personally dont care for them, they are made for home owners and diy repairs. Although I do keep some handy for emergency repairs to be changed out. The plastic insert can be taken out for all pipe's except pex wich needs an insert of some type. I have never tested this but I could see if you did use alot of these fittings they may reduce the pressure because of the inserts.
That one Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 10:30 PM   #8
Kitchen remodel Guru

Personally I think they are great......I use them when I stubout for sink rough ins....then when I go to install my angle stops the caps pop right off, makes life a little easier, and for 3 bucks I cant complain

I have used them a few times on a few of my bathroom remodels also.
A.W. Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by majakdragon View Post
In my area, they fall under the same category as compression fittings. This means they cannot be used anywhere except in places they can be seen at all times.
They are approved by IAPMO for Installation behind walls with out access panels which has helped when codes like that are brought up. They are also approve for burial.
TrevH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:29 AM   #10

Most codes do not list fittings that are approved. They merely state that they must be made of ASTM standard materials. Sharkbite does not list this in their advertising. I have included a link that contains a letter sent to someone who inquired to them. I am not aware of products being approved by a "third party" as stated in the letter. When I was a Water Service Tech in Ohio, all under ground water service lines were required to be copper and the only fittings allowed were mechanical couplings (flare). I realize that codes vary. Here in Arkansas,(and in Florida) water service lines were PVC with glued couplings.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...071630355.html