Plumber's Putty Needed? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10

plumber's putty needed?

I had to put in a bushing for the tub drain then just screwed the shoe and its gasket into the drain. I can't see a leak. Do I need plumber's putty and if so do I put it on the gasket or the inside of the bushing or between the under lip of the shoe and the gasket?


steve_vandalay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 34,448
Rewards Points: 14,026

Not a clue what you mean by a bushing for the drain. The strainer just screws into the drain shoe, no "bushing" involved.
If there's a rubber gasket under the drain flange you should be fine with out the plumbers putty


joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
GC/Master Plumber/Mech
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hays, KS
Posts: 1,500
Rewards Points: 560

We have stopped using plumbers putty and pretty much only use silicone.

Either use putty or silicone between the drain spud and the tub and not between the rubber gasket and shoe
John Wayne once said "Life is tough and it is even tougher if you are stupid"

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 5,918
Rewards Points: 582

oh guys please say its not so ...plumbers putty still rules....ALWAYS..
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
VIPlumber (02-08-2012)
Old 02-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #5
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NEPA - Pennsylvania
Posts: 34
Rewards Points: 25

Ben ill agree - Still use putty here.
builttolast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:47 PM   #6
Master Plumber
Javiles's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 1,604
Rewards Points: 996

The bushing he is referring to is a threaded bushing that comes with a replacement pull and twist drain kit, this is to adapt the smaller threaded drain strainer to an existing shoe, Or vise versa

The answer to your question is gasket between tub and shoe putty between the strainer slash stopper and tub.pipe dope on the bushing, Some of the guys are using silicone and I guess that’s ok but aim an old timer hard to teach an dog new tricks. still a putty user.



Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

Last edited by Javiles; 02-08-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fan size needed for Spray Booth (CFM) Sandy 1150 Painting 0 12-21-2011 07:22 PM
Building a 20' x 20' wood frame garage bgbrown125 Building & Construction 38 08-07-2011 01:53 PM
Face nail needed with Bona r851? bakerzdosen Flooring 0 08-01-2011 07:56 AM
Am I right...teflon tape not needed on new faucet lines? Hossenfeffer Plumbing 2 01-23-2011 01:42 PM
Need advice on quantity of primer and paint needed laurat Painting 8 01-01-2011 10:53 AM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1