DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   "Plumbers Box" (

jelly 03-24-2008 08:50 PM

"Plumbers Box"
101 Attachment(s)
I have a challange with the new bathroom I put upstairs. Directly below the upstairs toilet is a window below on the first floor. In order to drop down with the 3" sewer line, I will first have to turn 90 degrees cut into a 2x8 floor joist and go down in the next bay. My uncle said that I need to build "plumbers box" in order to support the joist that will have a 3" hole in it. He didn't know exactly how to do it, I googled "plumbers box" but could not find a diagram or information on how to support the joist.

Your thoughts/ideas are appreciated. Thanks and Regards

Ron The Plumber 03-24-2008 09:08 PM

It's called header out the joist to allow plumbing to fit.

jelly 03-24-2008 09:16 PM

101 Attachment(s)
Is this the idea?

Ron The Plumber 03-24-2008 09:17 PM

Thats it.

jelly 03-24-2008 09:26 PM

101 Attachment(s)
Thanks Ron!

Also found this diagram, do you recommend double headers AND double joists?


Ron The Plumber 03-24-2008 09:44 PM

I leave that up to the builder to decide.

amakarevic 03-25-2008 03:07 PM

i wonder if this building form is applicable vertically as well as horizontally ?

i would like to build something like this to enable a loop vent where the fixture is two studs away from the drain inlet that goes into the concrete slab.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:30 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1