Plumber (sole Owner) Does NOT Have A Worker's Compansation - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-15-2012, 08:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Arrow

plumber (sole owner) does NOT have a worker's compansation

We had a leaky water heater (year built 1995), so we called a plumber who turned off the hot water for that tenant until tomorrow when he comes back to install a new one.
I loved the guy: he was professional, courteous, personable. But when I pulled up his trade license on California Contractor License website it became apparent the plumber is licensed and bonded, but has NO workman's compensation. I feel scared to have him do the job... What is something happens to him? Can he sue the homeowners?
By CA law, if you are a sole owner(which he is), you are NOT required to have worker's compensation. What about our liability if anything , God forbid, happens to him???
thank you

Advertisement

edavt04@gmail.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,234

The owner is NOT required to have WC insurance (even in CA).

But as this question will come up ... a serious guy will be ready to answer the Q
with some documentation showing that he does have OTHER insurance to protect him
(and you) in the event of an injury.

Advertisement

TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
The owner is NOT required to have WC insurance (even in CA).

But as this question will come up ... a serious guy will be ready to answer the Q
with some documentation showing that he does have OTHER insurance to protect him
(and you) in the event of an injury.
An owner does need any insurance other then his liability towards the property. He is responsible for himself concerning any injury on the job.

Owners are not subject to OSHA either, only the workers under them.
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

My wife and MIL own a small flooring company here in CA. We are licensed, bonded, and carry liability insurance but not WC. WC is only to cover an employee of the company if they get injured on the job.

As the owners of the company, they are going to take care of themselves if they get injured, and obviously not go after the company. Example, if the plumber dropped the water heater on his foot, he will take himself to the doctor, use his own medical, and is not going to sue the company (himself) for damages, so no need to carry WC. Don't be concerned, you will not find ANY sole proprietorship, or any small company that does not have employees other than the owners, that carry WC. There is no need and it is EXPENSIVE

Liability insurance is to cover the contractor if he does something to you or your property. Example, if the plumber drops the water heater on YOUR foot, or it falls on your car, his liability insurance will take care of it.

Now, if the plumber gets hurt on your porperty due to a problem with your property, he can go after the homeowner, and that is what homeowners insurance is for. But in order to actually go after a homeowner and have a snowball's chance of winning, it has to be a blatent pre-existing issue. Example, tripping on a stair - forget it, but falling because a step was missing completely, might be a case.

Last edited by FixitDragon; 03-15-2012 at 01:17 PM.
FixitDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Wow, thank you guys!!!
edavt04@gmail.c is offline   Reply With Quote