Plumber Is A No Show - So I Need To Get A Radiator In Myself - What Should I Know? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2008, 01:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Plumber is a no show - so I need to get a Radiator in myself - what should I know?

Pretty standard setup - in-one-side-out-the-other-style radiator - this one is on the first floor, the pipes are essentially in place downstairs but I will have to move them over about 1/2 a foot as we had to change the wall setup a little upstairs. I am replacing the shut off valve on it since the old one was all painted over and stuck etc.

The Rad itself is in great shape and I just had it cleaned up and repainted. Before the plumber left the first time he figured that he could do it with out draining the whole system - I'm not so sure. I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing so that if I do drain the system then I know what to do to get it back up and running quick as the minus 25-30 degree Celsius weather will wreak havoc on my house/pipes pretty quickly .

So overall - any suggestions on technique for soldering these larger pipes, draining the rads, refilling them and checking pressure etc? I think getting the pipes in place etc looks pretty straight forward provided I have things drained properly and I can drill the holes in the floor (new floors - kind of nervous :/ ) It feels like a job I can do just a little more daunting than others I have attempted. I will be amputating the old pipes seen in the picture once I get things drained properly.

Oh yeah, and I know there's a crack under the window - I just haven't quite got to finishing the moulding yet . One thing at a time right?
Attached Images

Advertisement

bluecifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:36 PM   #2
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Plumber is a no show - so I need to get a Radiator in myself - what should I know?

Good luck - I don't have any concrete advice - but the radiator sure does look good.

Advertisement

Old 12-20-2008, 07:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

My suggestion would be to wait for the plumber, at the very least if you want to do it your self, wait until spring.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:16 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks Leah - it took four of us to get it out of the house but - it was worth it - although my back might tell you a different stroy .

As for waiting - I wish I could but due to the incredible cold we need to get it hooked up - only one rad on the first floor messes up the heat in the rest of the house to since the thermostat is located on the first floor. It gets pretty warm up there when the first floor gets cool enough to kick the boiler on.

I'll get my ducks in line and let you know how it goes.
bluecifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:57 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

the first thing to do is get a top/bleeder on that thing.PHASE ONE....place the radiator...mark the holes in the floor,and pipe it into the basement just below the floor beams.just piping the radiator is a days work for a first timer.....the valve into that union supply line and the return is the most important.you have to make it up with a elbow and adapter(return) to get into the radiator and thread that all in with the radiator tipped up(the reason for all this is you can't solder near the thread part of the adapter in place you will over heat the sealant or teflon)and the proof of its(return connection) integrity is when you refill the system.....nightmare to repair it.putting unions on both sides will eliminate this work on the return........how big is the exsisting piping on the hot water loop?..and this is only PHASE ONE.....concentrate on getting that radiator piped down to where your going to cut it in.PHASE TWO will be the drain down and cut in and the refill.....bleeding.if you don't have bleeders on the other radiators in the house might consider installing them when you drain down.questions about the house itself ...is it just the one floor heating with radiators or two a story...zones ....one circulator
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radiator