Plumber Drilled Holes Through My Dishwasher - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 27

Plumber drilled holes through my dishwasher

Had a new kitchen installed about 1.5yrs ago. Sometime probably a year ago I found a pipe leak (old copper pipes) and decided to have the whole house re-plumbed since we had a home warranty and were about to put down laminate flooring. They used Pex and ran new lines through the attic. Since the kitchen sink is against a concrete exterior wall, they ran lines through the side of the cabinet.

Fast fwd a year or so later, and my wife notices there's mildew in the cabinet next to the D/W and obviously something's been leaking. I just pulled out the washer and found 2 holes right through the plastic basin of the D/W.

****ty plumbers drilled right through it. Anyone know the best way to patch the holes? I'm thinking some sort of epoxy or something but not really sure.

PS looks like they came around Oct 2010, which means I'm probably out of warranty. But I'm going to contact the home warranty and see what they say
Attached Thumbnails
Plumber drilled holes through my dishwasher-cab1.jpg   Plumber drilled holes through my dishwasher-cab2.jpg  

Advertisement

AngeloUCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

I have read alot of stupid things by stupid people but I think this one about takes the cake. If nothing else you should nominate this guy for a Darwin award.

You might be careful with epoxy as it may melt the plastic, make sure you get the epoxy especially for plastic and see if you can get a piece of similar plastic and completely cover the holes.

Mark

Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #3

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind if I have to make repairs. I just got off the phone with Old Republic warranty and left a message for a damage claim. Looks like there might be something they can help with. Would be great if I could replace the D/W.

I do not want these guys to fix anything themselves as I was pretty unhappy with the service. See my review below that I found online:

Quote:
I used them for a replumbing of the entire house. They did satisfactory plumbing work and did most of the job in one day. I was told they would subcontract the drywall repair from the holes they made, however they did it themselves very sloppily. I was picking out dried texture from my 3mth old carpet and scrubbing it out of my furniture to clean up their mess. They also didn't bother to cover anything up, so the entire house was extremely dusty and to top it off they left food remnants and liquor receipts in my yard. I complained to the owner and he didn't seem to care and offered no apology, which is the minimum I was expecting. They came back to "fix" some things but at that point I just wanted them out of my house. At least there are no water leaks in the house.
Funny how the last sentence became untrue in the end.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
Experienced

Well if you need to push it, replace the DW, as this is an unforgivable error on their part.

Mark
Old 03-12-2012, 11:57 PM   #5
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 712

Out of warranty or not that just plum ridicules I would go after plumbing company that employed that moron this is not a warranty issue as far as the re pipe work. That just poor workmanship, my licensing board would make them make good on something like this. This guy deserves a here’s your sign

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:02 AM   #6

Those two hole can probably be successfully patched with silicone type caulk. Not expensive to repair....maybe $5 for a small squeeze tube.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:16 AM   #7
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
Those two hole can probably be successfully patched with silicone type caulk. Not expensive to repair....maybe $5 for a small squeeze tube.
I would not just fill the holes with silicon, the problem being, this leak is site unseen so if the caulking fails you do damage before it is noticed. Fill with caulk and then cover to ensure that there will never be a leak, that is if you aren't successful with the pumbing company, if they are still in business.

Mark
Old 03-13-2012, 07:28 AM   #8
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,212

Some silicones contain mildew killers and are not intended for food contact---

If you go that route--use a food contact approved silicone.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #9

Thanks guys, a lot to think/worry about. I might just push for a new dishwasher considering everything was less than 6months old
Old 03-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 3,492

If the cabinets and floor under the dishwasher are damaged they should pay for repair of them as well. Do not settle for patching the holes. You need a new dishwasher.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 10

Plastic epoxy should work fine for that.

But as others said the dishwasher repair is minor compared to what damage is done around it.
Mimibuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:10 PM   #12
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

I've seen that before too, and told the rental agency that I don't fix holes in the sides of dishwashers. Buy a new one and i'll be happy to install it without drilling any holes into it.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:46 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,542

ok after all is said you had a new d.w that someone damaged ..they should be insured ...I would settle for nothing less than what you had....A NEW DISH WASHER......
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
hardwareman (03-13-2012)
Old 03-13-2012, 11:37 PM   #14
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiles View Post
Out of warranty or not that just plum ridicules I would go after plumbing company that employed that moron this is not a warranty issue as far as the re pipe work. That just poor workmanship, my licensing board would make them make good on something like this. This guy deserves a here’s your sign
Also, I agree with this guy

This has nothing to do with the plumbing end of it. They drilled the holes, obviously they didn't feel the first one hit the side of the tub, so they had no idea they hit it. How would you know until you needed to pull it out?

100% their responsibility to fix it.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #15
Chicago, IL

Rewards Points: 500

+1 for new Dw.

Advertisement

Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote