DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Plumbing (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/)
-   -   Plugged kitchen sink (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/plugged-kitchen-sink-198507/)

Lemkie 03-28-2014 12:49 PM

Plugged kitchen sink
 
My girlfriends kitchen sink was draining very, very slowly. I ran some liquid Plummer down the drain and it did not help at all. After a few attempts it was still the same. Batter that I removed the trap and tried to snake it. I got as far as I could possibly go but that didn't help anything at all. Finally I tried some CP industries clear line drain opener. It contains sulphuric acid. I put this stuff in past the p trap and the. Had to reconnect the sink as it started bubbling heavily. The sink is still clogged. I tried plunging as well however the sink is vented and it sounds like it's just sucking air from the vent.

Any ideas? I thought about maybe capping the vent and trying to plunge it. Any help at all would be great at this point.

The plumbing is also not accessible from the basement.

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum

LateralConcepts 03-28-2014 01:19 PM

Stop. Just stop. I know this is a DIY forum, but call a professional. Don't use any more chemicals, and be sure to disclose the fact that you used chemicals to the professional.

Bondo 03-28-2014 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemkie (Post 1329237)
My girlfriends kitchen sink was draining very, very slowly. I ran some liquid Plummer down the drain and it did not help at all. After a few attempts it was still the same. Batter that I removed the trap and tried to snake it. I got as far as I could possibly go but that didn't help anything at all. Finally I tried some CP industries clear line drain opener. It contains sulphuric acid. I put this stuff in past the p trap and the. Had to reconnect the sink as it started bubbling heavily. The sink is still clogged. I tried plunging as well however the sink is vented and it sounds like it's just sucking air from the vent.

Any ideas? I thought about maybe capping the vent and trying to plunge it. Any help at all would be great at this point.

The plumbing is also not accessible from the basement.

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum

Ayuh,.... Try that,.... If it don't work, do as LateralConcepts says,...

Quit dumpin' chemicals in it,....

Ghostmaker 03-28-2014 05:44 PM

Make real sure you tell your drain cleaner you dumped high strength acid into that drain. He can get severely injured.

joecaption 03-28-2014 05:53 PM

#1 Never a good Idea to use a drain cleaner!!!
It would have taken you about 2 min.to remove the trap and clean it out.
Most often that all it is that plugging it up.
If not the trap needed to come out anyway to snake the drain.
Sinks are never snaked from the sink, way to many corners to go around.

Lemkie 03-28-2014 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption
#1 Never a good Idea to use a drain cleaner!!! It would have taken you about 2 min.to remove the trap and clean it out. Most often that all it is that plugging it up. If not the trap needed to come out anyway to snake the drain. Sinks are never snaked from the sink, way to many corners to go around.

Iris bot clogged at the trap. I removed the trap and snaked from there. The snake went in about 8 feet and then was stuck. It would not go forward no matter what I tried. I kept spinning to try to "break through" but all this would do would end up jamming the cable in the reel. I measured and this spot would be right at the bottom of the basement which is where I believe the pipe goes. I'm thinking maybe the pipe is frozen...

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum

joecaption 03-28-2014 06:07 PM

No one here would know that because you did not add your location to your profile.
Just go to quick links to edit.
Any access under the house?
If so there's suppose to be clean out.

Lemkie 03-28-2014 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption
No one here would know that because you did not add your location to your profile. Just go to quick links to edit. Any access under the house? If so there's suppose to be clean out.

My apologies. I'm in northern Ontario. It's been the coldest winter we've had in a while. There's no access underneath. The basement is completely finished with a drywall ceiling. Right now I cranked the heat in the basement and put some hot water down the drain. I'm letting it sit for a while to see if it'll get me anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved