Please Verify This Professional Plumber Bill Is Normal And Done Properly And Fairly. - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2013, 12:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Please verify this professional plumber bill is normal and done properly and fairly.

I've never hired a plumbing contractor before, so perhaps someone can just verify for me this is fair:

Call was for broken hose bib. Hose bib replaced, still didn't work. Claimed blockage in line. I said to go ahead and replace it, he wired hose bib to another outlet on the pressure tank and everything worked.

Arrival 8:10
Departure 9:00 (to get PVC pipe/connectors/parts).
Return: 9:40 (with parts)
Departure 10:30

Bill received:
3 hours labor
$80 for parts (seemed like hose bib + 10-15 feet in 3/4 PVC). -- probably marked up 20 maybe 30% is my gut instinct...

So the questions are:

1) Is it normal to pay for the supply house run time?
2) Is it normal to round up to the nearest hour vs 1/2 hour increments in the hourly rate?

Don't get me wrong I'm satisfied with the work, and will call them back for more. They were quite efficient considering all that needed to be done. Obviously, when a $100 quote (replace hose bib) turns into a $300 repair, it does turn into something unexpected. I didn't expect it to be 3 hours of labor, quite frankly. I do not know what is standard and fair in this industry.

Advertisement

fm500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:20 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,276

Please verify this professional plumber bill is normal and done properly and fairly.

That is normal. He showed up with the parts needed for the original work order------the scope of work changed and more parts were needed for your job.----

Advertisement

Jay123 (08-30-2013), jmon (08-30-2013), Peppe1019 (08-30-2013)
Old 08-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Sounds right to me, usually if a plumber has to run for parts you will have to pay for the time especially if unforseen issues arise..
Peppe1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peppe1019 For This Useful Post:
jmon (08-30-2013), oh'mike (08-30-2013)
Old 08-30-2013, 08:50 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,222

The only thing that seems a bit high to me is the $80 for parts. Of course there is a markup, probably a typical 20%, but the total still seems high for a simple hose bib. Since you're satisified with the work, I wouldn't press the issue.
md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,616

You mentioned an arrival time but it seems you didn't account for his travel time to the job. This is not an uncommon charge- perhaps 30 minutes? So maybe his clock started at 7:30

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum. Watch out for spell check
Old 08-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,696

That's how it is and makes you wanna become a little more proficient DIYer doesn't it.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (08-30-2013)
Old 08-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,538

It's a gray area because he did end up doing something different than what was originally planned.

But then again, isn't that how 50% of the jobs go? If I hire a professional plumber, then something like PVC pipe is definitely something I expect to be sitting in his truck, in different sizes, ready to go. Even if you're happy with the result, it was definitely not cheap and I wouldn't appreciate having to pay someone $130 to go to the store and get this
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Homewerks...9#.UiEfyayHenk

and this
http://www.homedepot.com/p/VPC-3-4-i...5#.UiEgo6yHenk

I'm just saying, a different plumber will have that on his truck and in this case save you over $100.
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,498

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
If I hire a professional plumber, then something like PVC pipe is definitely something I expect to be sitting in his truck, in different sizes, ready to go.
I have to agree with that statement. All of the plumbers "I" know are PVC stores on wheels.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #9
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,616

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
I have to agree with that statement. All of the plumbers "I" know are are PVC stores on wheels.
I carry 10' or less of 3/4" and a coffee can of fittings- but my primer spilled

The reason I don't carry more is that it is not approved for water inside a house And I don't work on irrigation lines- only occasional condensate drains.

If I'd gone on that call I probably would have transitioned to PEX- I got lots of that on my truck
Old 08-30-2013, 07:13 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,538

PEX is fine too, and that plumber could have used that. Which begs the question - what kind of plumber has no supplies on his truck to make a 10 foot supply line? Maybe the kind that likes to get paid $70/hr for taking a drive in his truck listening to XM radio?
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,724

PVC I hope we do mean CPVC.. Because PVC is not allowable on water distribution lines. That means in the house.

All I can say is when I did repair I drove a step van that was fully equipped and carried all normal use items. Waterline is a normal use item and a hose bib is a normal use item. I also had a signed contract with a specefic amount for the job prior to starting the work. The price I quoted was the price of the job. In the future I would suggest you do the same and once your quoted a price he is out of luck.

Last edited by Ghostmaker; 08-30-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Ghostmaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:16 PM   #12
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
PVC I hope we do mean CPVC.. Because PVC is not allowable on water distribution lines. That means in the house
Well that sucks for me...all of my cold water is PVC, the only CPVC I have is on the hot.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,724

Pvc is only approved as water service pipe for wells. The reason is you can read the side of your pipe the burst pressure is only for 78 degree water. Will good luck with that.
Ghostmaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:27 PM   #14
Mod

Quote:
Pvc is only approved as water service pipe for wells. The reason is you can read the side of your pipe the burst pressure is only for 78 degree water. Will good luck with that.
So be it in Ohio.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #15
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,390

Quote:
Codes vary by state. In SC PVC can be used for cold water pipes in a dwelling.

Advertisement