Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2010, 09:34 PM   #1

Share |

Please help -- shower remodel

I am remodeling our shower/tub enclosure. I have two questions about the shower:

1) the new shower valve I want to install is set up for 3/4" pipe. The existing supply lines are 1/2". I just want a rain type showerhead handling 2.5 gpm. Can I simply install an adapter on the existing 1/2" line and call it good, or will that create some other problem?

2) I will need to install a new shower drain. I think what I will have to do is cut out part of the subfloor, saw off the existing drain, and then cement the new drain onto the drain pipe. Is this correct? How far off the floor should the new drain rise? -- this is going to be a tiled shower pan with a portland cement/sand shower pan.

Many thanks!

lawyer101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:49 PM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

1. Yes.
2. Yes. You have to measure for the particular shower pan drain.
Mike

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:17 AM   #3

1- Depends on the amount of Pressure you had at the Shower and what the entire house is piped in as. Older House in this area are completely piped in as 1/2 inch and depending on the number of fixtures in the house it could be a little Lack Luster. I like a 3/4 inch main with everything Branching off in 1/2 inch... Or as in my house I have a Manifold system with each fixture having its own shut off valve at the Manifold and at the Fixture. This provides great pressure nomatter what is used

2- You need to decide what kind of Pan you are using. I use Plastic pan liners and here is a Link to a good description of how to do it correctly
Shower Pan Liner

I have installed 3 of these and Loved it. Big benefit is for the Tile guy isis that he does not need to worry about the slope of the tiles http://www.schluter.com/8_4_kerdi_shower_kit.aspx
Docwhitley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:39 AM   #4
DIY staff

Here is a helpful site-Shower Construction Info (a collection of posts) - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote