Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2009, 07:58 AM   #1

Share |

please help with clawfoot tub drain - obselete tube size?

I have a tub drain that ends at the T. the drain in the floor is 1 1/4 ABS with a slip j oint nut and washer. i bought a piece of 1 1/4 pipe to slide into the floor, and up into my drain, but cannot find a slip joint nut to connect it to the botto of my drain, to save me life.

as best i can from underneath, the OD threads on this joint are 1 3/8, probably making the piping of the drain 1 1/4?

i've been all over town and online and can't find a nut to fit this. everyone has a reducing nut that's way too big to grab my threads.

do i have to buy a new drain at this point? if so, should i make it 1 1/2 or 1 3/8? how would i connect this to the 1 1/4 drain in the floor?

i've called all the plumbers, none of them seem to have an easy answer. not sure how to proceed.

thanks.

wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:26 PM   #2

please help with clawfoot tub drain - obselete tube size?

I wanna make sure I am clear here. The tee you're talking about is the tee in the tub waste and overflow where the overflow drain from the tub connects to the main drain of the tub right before it goes through the floor. The 1-1/4 in. pipe you bought is to slide into the bottom of the tee and be connected with a s.j. nut and washer. If this I am correct here is my solution, if I am wrong then slap me in the head (everybody else does) and maybe post some pics if you can. The reducing nut they are trying to sell you is an 1-1/2 x 1-1/4 nut. If your threads measure 1-3/8 then it is probably a straight 1-1/4 nut that you need (the threads will be a little bigger than the tube size with slip joint stuff). Go to the hardware store and ask for a 1-1/4 slip joint nut and washer. You should be able to find one pretty easily and it should solve your problem.

jporter5333 is offline   Reply With Quote