Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2010, 03:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Please Help!

Every time we get torrential rain it ends up taxing the storm/sewer line and with enough rain eventually creep up my sewer line and into my sub basement bathtub. Now this is not a big deal because it meets its level half way up the tub. My problem is that as soon as the water makes its way into the tub it also starts to leak water from under the tub.I put a stand pipe in the tub and that works great. I also took the drain out and reinstalled with teflon tape to no avail. You can use this tub any time and never get any water. I was told that its because of the pressure fitting on the tub was meant to have water go out and not backed up into.Is there any way to remedy this without tearing up the sewer line and putting in a backflow preventer valve? Every time we are expecting 3 plus inches of rain I just shudder.

offagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:51 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,374

Please Help!

I can only guess (but my guesses are usually good)

Either--The P-trap or a fitting near by always leaks a little--but the pit that is open under the tub drain can absorb the amount of water generated by draining the tub---But not the amount generated by your all night back flush---

OR--The plumbing is fine and ground water is over flowing the pit under the tub-(Not as likely as the first one.)

You need an in wall camera--or an access hole that will let you see the drain pit.---Mike--

O.K. Alan (and all you other plumbers)--Good guess or not?

oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Please Help!

Rain water should not be going into the sewer line
Around here if you are on Town sewer its up to a $1500 fine

Is it your sewer line...or a street storm drain that fills up ?
How is the water entering the sewer drain system ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:35 PM   #4

Please Help!

Thanks Mike. I am completely stumped by this. My wife thinks its ground water as well but, when this happens the toilet starts to make bubbling sounds and then the water in the toilet retracts and gets very low.Shortly after this happens I will look in the stand pipe I have in the tub drain and as soon as I see water enter the stand pipe, water starts to come out under the tub. As quickly as the water exits the stand pipe , the water stops from under the tub. I can not use any of the plumbing in the home while this is happening . My ejector pit went on once while this was going on and my sub basement toilet looked like a fountain.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:45 PM   #5

Please Help!

I do not have an answer for you. I am in suburban Chicago and have no idea how the water is getting into the sewer line. I know that when this does happen my neighbors back yard is usually under water. Now if the rain subsides for a little while his backyard will empty out pretty quick. He has a storm drain in his back yard.They almost always go hand in hand.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:48 PM   #6

Please Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Rain water should not be going into the sewer line
Around here if you are on Town sewer its up to a $1500 fine

Is it your sewer line...or a street storm drain that fills up ?
How is the water entering the sewer drain system ?

I do not have an answer for you. I am in suburban Chicago and have no idea how the water is getting into the sewer line. I know that when this does happen my neighbors back yard is usually under water. Now if the rain subsides for a little while his backyard will empty out pretty quick. He has a storm drain in his back yard.They almost always go hand in hand.

The Following User Says Thank You to offagain For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-04-2010)