Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2012, 08:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Planning interior basement drainage system

Hi All,

I am in the planning phase of adding an interior weeping system in my basement. Attached is a sketch of what I plan to do.

My basement was built with a drain and pipe starting from the furnace room to a sump pit w/ pump.

Please take a look at the attachment and let me know if what I am proposing is correct.

Thanks,

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Planning interior basement drainage system-2012-05-11_0924.jpg  

Trucon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,122

Why are you not addressing this problum from the outside instead of dealing with it once the damage has been already done on the inside?
There's a whole lot of other things that can be done to prevent the water from getting in.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #3

Well, I have a concrete patio in my entire back yard, up to the foundation. So I can't dig up the yard there. I guess I could have the front yard dug up and waterproofed from the outside, but it would all have to be hand dug and probably expensive as hell. I have a middle unit townhouse so heavy machinery wouldn't be used.

So I figured since I already needed the floor drain on the back of the house, I would just do the front as well.

PS -- My basement has recently been completely demoed, so I am working with all concrete walls and floors, if that helps.

Last edited by Trucon01; 05-11-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,026

What you have proposed is perfectly legitimate. While an outside perimeter system works a little better, the inside perimeter system comes close in performance and may be much easier to install.

Be sure that the perforated pipe paths from the far ends to the sump pump pit (the sump) are at least level although a downslope improves things. It is possible that the drain from the floor drain opening is too high for the perimeter drain pipe to join in.

Meanwhile inspect the ground outside and correct things so water does not pool up against the foundation and gutter water is dropped far enough away that it does not soak in right at the foundation.

Last edited by AllanJ; 05-11-2012 at 11:54 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #5

Thanks Allen... Well, if I find that it is, I might as well break up the floor the whole way and make it work. I'd guess they screwed up that installation like they screwed up everything else in the basement...

Just not looking forward to carrying out all the broken up concrete, if/when I do this. I got a quote for 5900 to do this same thing, plus adding 3 window well drains and tieing them into the interior system. Thats looking like a better number as time goes on.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:45 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,026

Normally there should not be so much water coming down and soaking in near the house that you need drains in window wells. The land should be graded so water runs away from the house. But if you do need those little vertical drain pipes and your perimeter drain system is on the inside, those little drains have to cut through the foundation wall to get to the perimeter drain pipes.

It's okay to drill a very narrow path (disturbing less than 4 inches worth of soil measuring parallel to the foundation wall) under the foundation footings to run a pipe or an electrical cable or conduit.

Last edited by AllanJ; 05-11-2012 at 10:54 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote