Pipes Making A Ticking Sound Even When Not In Use. - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2012, 02:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Pipes making a ticking sound even when not in use.

Our master bathroom makes clicking sounds in the walls that I can only assume are associated with the plumbing. The sounds will come intermittently, but go on for hours on end even with no water running. Possibly the issue will occur due to water used, and then appear later, but I haven't been able to make that connection. I know that sometimes hot water will cause the sound, but I am almost certain that this sound does not come only when hot water is used.

Any ideas or help before I start tearing the walls apart would be appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisement

esac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Are you sure NO water is being used anywhere in the home within say 15-20 min of the clicking noise? I say that because in my house the drain for my kitchen sink/dishwasher traverses my whole house to reach the sewer outlet. I've found myself in my office hard at work and suddenly spooked by "clicks" underfoot until I realize there's a load in the dishwasher and it's the waste line expanding from the hot water that just drained. My waste line is copper so it thermally reacts to temperature differences.

Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 602

Quote:
Originally Posted by esac View Post
Our master bathroom makes clicking sounds in the walls that I can only assume are associated with the plumbing. The sounds will come intermittently, but go on for hours on end even with no water running. Possibly the issue will occur due to water used, and then appear later, but I haven't been able to make that connection. I know that sometimes hot water will cause the sound, but I am almost certain that this sound does not come only when hot water is used.
You by chance have PEX (plastic like as opposed to copper) water lines installed?
HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerepairguy View Post
You by chance have PEX (plastic like as opposed to copper) water lines installed?
HRG
The sound is coming from a bathtub area that the previous owners installed probably somewhere around 2000, so it is a possibility. Otherwise, the rest of the house is definitely copper. What would cause the PEX to do this that I can look for if I find it?
Old 07-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGWhitehouse View Post
Are you sure NO water is being used anywhere in the home within say 15-20 min of the clicking noise? I say that because in my house the drain for my kitchen sink/dishwasher traverses my whole house to reach the sewer outlet. I've found myself in my office hard at work and suddenly spooked by "clicks" underfoot until I realize there's a load in the dishwasher and it's the waste line expanding from the hot water that just drained. My waste line is copper so it thermally reacts to temperature differences.
I will definitely try to pay more attention to that and see. I usually hear it when I am trying to sleep, and I am usually the last one to go to bed. I will have used the toilet and some cold water to brush my teeth, but no hot water.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #6
Renovations contractor

Rewards Points: 250

Do you have hot water radiator heating by any chance?
Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
Do you have hot water radiator heating by any chance?
Nope.

We did have a tankless hot water heater with recirc put in about a year ago, but this issue has been happening for 6 years, and the issue also occurs when the recirc is turned off.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 602

Quote:
Originally Posted by esac View Post
The sound is coming from a bathtub area that the previous owners installed probably somewhere around 2000, so it is a possibility. Otherwise, the rest of the house is definitely copper. What would cause the PEX to do this that I can look for if I find it?
PEX expands about 10 times as much as copper tubing for the same length and temperature change. This expansion also affects an increase in the diameter of the PEX tubing. The expansion is very noticeable in hot water lines since they vary in temperature from ambient to about 120 - 140 degrees.

Two things happen in PEX hot water lines.
... 1. If holes are drilled in wood studs just large enough to push the PEX tubing though, or if plastic PEX hangers with 2 dog ears are secured with two screws for a "just right fit" around the PEX tubing, when the PEX tubing expands it really presses against the wood studs or PEX hangers causing a lot of friction.

... 2. The PEX tubing will expand quite a bit length wise in hot water lines. Along with item-1 above, this can cause friction noise both when the tubing is expanding and contracting. The noise could go on until the hot water in the line cools to ambient temperature. PEX has greater insulation properties than copper so the cooling will take longer.

PEX tubing can expand in length so much that it's recommended to install expansion loops (like a roller coaster 360 loop) every 50 feet. When I look at the PEX hot water lines in our home, I can see wear marks where the tubing has rubbed against the hangers even though the hangers are a very loose fit. We don't have any friction noise.

HRG

Advertisement

Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Homerepairguy For This Useful Post:
Bonzai (07-10-2012)

Tags
plumbing clicking