Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Pipes in exterior wall

Live in Canada and am currently renovating my powderoom and the exterior wall which has my garage on the other side is where I would to run my water lines. I currently have the plastic pecs pipes. I am concerned about cold weather. Is this possible to do? and how would I insulate them as not to freeze in the winter?

Nathan in Canada

nathanincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 38

Pipes in exterior wall

The water lines run next to the dry wall on the powder room side with the wall insulation on the garage side of the wall cavity. Do not wrap the water lines but leave them exposed to the room temperature of the powder room as much as possible. Builders that don't understand tend to wrap / insulate lines and that does nothing but keep the ambient room temperature away from that which we are trying to keep from freezing. The same applies if one must run overhead lines in the ceiling. Lines next to dry wall and normal insulation on opposite side of the lines.

Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 0

Pipes in exterior wall

Sorry, I didn't make it clear that I will be running the water line in the wall as we are planning on having the taps come out of the wall not from the 3 holes that are normally in a countertop.
nathanincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 38

Pipes in exterior wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanincanada View Post
Sorry, I didn't make it clear that I will be running the water line in the wall as we are planning on having the taps come out of the wall not from the 3 holes that are normally in a countertop.
That makes no difference. There will be a warm side of the wall ( powder room side ) and a cold side of the wall ( garage side ). Water pipes / tubing go next to the warm side within the wall and insulation goes next to the cold side within the wall.
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote