Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Pipes bouncing when upstairs neighbor walking over floor?

I live in a relatively new (under 4 years old) condo and have a strange problem that I've noticed since I've been here for the past year. Basically, everytime the neighbor above me walks over a certain part of his floor near his laundry area it sounds like a loud metal hitting or, or wood hitting wood sound. It's extremely annoying since the guy walks over it about 30 times a day. I'm speculating that it's the fire sprinkler pipe and/or water pipes slapping against something since he is a heavy walker. Has anyone ever heard of anything like that ever happening before? I'm guessing the pipes are suspended via a cable from his floor and that maybe his heavy walking is causing them to bounce up and hit the crossbeams of his floors and make the noise in my ceiling? I'm close to just cutting a hole in the ceiling and seeing what the hell is causing this issue since it's driving me nuts!

webvigator2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,180

Quote:
Originally Posted by webvigator2k View Post
I live in a relatively new (under 4 years old) condo and have a strange problem that I've noticed since I've been here for the past year. Basically, everytime the neighbor above me walks over a certain part of his floor near his laundry area it sounds like a loud metal hitting or, or wood hitting wood sound. It's extremely annoying since the guy walks over it about 30 times a day. I'm speculating that it's the fire sprinkler pipe and/or water pipes slapping against something since he is a heavy walker. Has anyone ever heard of anything like that ever happening before? I'm guessing the pipes are suspended via a cable from his floor and that maybe his heavy walking is causing them to bounce up and hit the crossbeams of his floors and make the noise in my ceiling? I'm close to just cutting a hole in the ceiling and seeing what the hell is causing this issue since it's driving me nuts!
that may be your only option..sounds like pipe is not straped. ..but maybe ask him 1 st if something in his apt is rattling when he walks....what type of floor? ben sr

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
that may be your only option..sounds like pipe is not straped. ..but maybe ask him 1 st if something in his apt is rattling when he walks....what type of floor? ben sr
Seems to have tiling. It's the standard for everyone's unit in that particular area. Could it be part of the floorboards hitting the crossbeam or something like that too? I've never heard of this happening to anyone before (lucky me) and the builder is eschewing any responsibility for it since they claim the warranty was only good for the first year.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 578

Send him a jenny Craig coupon

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Javiles For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (05-29-2013), MTN REMODEL LLC (05-29-2013)
Old 05-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #5
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by webvigator2k View Post
I'm close to just cutting a hole in the ceiling and seeing what the hell is causing this issue since it's driving me nuts!
This is likely to be your first part of solving the puzzle. It's entirely likely one of the subcontractors installed materials in a way that's contributing to the problem. Pipe, ducts, sagging electrical romex, etc. You won't know what or where until you open it up to look. One suggestion, pick up an access panel and cut the hole to fit it. That way you could at least button up the hole between now and when it gets re-finished properly.

Like one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Oatey-34056-14...dp/B000DZD3MO/

You'd want the hole big enough to get your head in there so you could both see AND hear the noise. A small hole with just a camera won't give you the benefit of stereo hearing to help pinpoint the noise. That and if you're lucky enough to find the loose material and you can get a hand on it, you could secure it in ways to see what did or didn't get rid of the noise. Just clamping or otherwise securiing it in one place might just move the noise somewhere else. Best to get that figured out all at once rather than end up chasing it again, and again, etc.

Since it's a condo I'd suggest asking the association if anyone else has reported the same noise issue and what might have been done to deal with it.

Last edited by wkearney99; 05-29-2013 at 09:56 AM.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:14 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,258

Definitely sounds like pipes that were installed incompetently to me. i.e. skimped to save money by not strapping them.
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (05-29-2013)
Old 05-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #7
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,496

+1

Cut the hole and buy and inspection camera.

Coordinate your efforts with the neighbor and have him walk across the floor.

Engage the condo board as it would likely be considered a defect in the common space/construction.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (05-29-2013)
Old 05-29-2013, 11:24 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,024

In most condominium bylaws (check yours) this would be a common area problem. If a defective or damaged element is physically located between units or serves more than one unit then it is a common responsibility.

Bring it up with the board of directors before doing anything.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,220

Typical cheap building practices. Probably will find all of the condos in that development with so many shortcuts, that they are lucky to even pass COA (Certificate of Occupancy), or even pass inspections if there ever were any during the build.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,220

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
In most condominium bylaws (check yours) this would be a common area problem. If a defective or damaged element is physically located between units or serves more than one unit then it is a common responsibility.

Bring it up with the board of directors before doing anything.
Most of these places do not have a HOA, let alone a "Board of Directors". Most are just an ownership company that tends the grounds, and that is it.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,024

How many apartment units are in the complex.

If there are fewer than ten units and the complex is really a condo or a coop, it is possible there is no "board of directors" per se but then each owner has the responsibility of a director and gets together with the others to select and hire companies to do the financial accounting, tend the grounds, etc.

Somebody is responsible to see that repairs are made.

Last edited by AllanJ; 05-29-2013 at 01:38 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
How many apartment units are in the complex.

If there are fewer than ten units and the complex is really a condo or a coop, it is possible there is no "board of directors" per se but then each owner has the responsibility of a director and gets together with the others to select and hire companies to do the financial accounting, tend the grounds, etc.

Somebody is responsible to see that repairs are made.
There are about 80 units a building. We do have an HOA/Board of Directors, who are actually suing the builder because of the lousy job they did on some of the other buildings. Might be one more thing to add to their lawsuit Thanks for the info everyone, I'll just have to work with my neighbor on this and the association.