Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2008, 07:38 AM   #1

Share |

Which pipes are which?

Tons of questions about the plumbing. We are planning to hire a plumber, however, I would like to do a little space planning beforehand. As usual, our builder stubbed out the plumbing in our unfinished basement. However, I am not sure which pipes are which? I'm assuming the fat pipe is where the toilet belongs and the little one sticking out of the floor is the drain???

So where does the piping for the sink come from? Do they extend it from the pipes in the ceiling?

I was told that it would substantially cut down the cost if the plumber does not have to dig up the floor to "relocate" the pipes. Can I place the sink anywhere in the bathroom or does it need to be near the other two? Does the shower have to built directly over the floor drain?
Attached Thumbnails
Which pipes are which?-hpim8373rev.jpg  

QueenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:49 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Marlin

Which pipes are which?

I really can't tell anything with those pictures. Yes the large pipe is your toilet waste. Is that a 2" pipe with expanding foam around it? If it is my guess is that is meant to be a waste for a tub so you have room to get your trip lever in.
Additionally there should be a vent for the toilet, a vent for the tub/shower, and a sink waste line.

Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:06 PM   #3
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Which pipes are which?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
I really can't tell anything with those pictures. Yes the large pipe is your toilet waste. Is that a 2" pipe with expanding foam around it? If it is my guess is that is meant to be a waste for a tub so you have room to get your trip lever in.
Additionally there should be a vent for the toilet, a vent for the tub/shower, and a sink waste line.
All of that could be wet vented into the toilet vent quite easily, but i'm not sure why they have the 3" stubbed out so high... usually on concrete, you go ahead and set the flange....

I'm a little confused as to what i'm looking at as well.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:20 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Marlin

Which pipes are which?

I don't know of any code which allows you to vent both the toilet and shower on a 2" line.
Sounds to me like the builder left a rough in for a bathroom in the basement. That's why nothing is set yet.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:05 AM   #5
Plumbing Contractor

Which pipes are which?

Hi everyone:

I also can't tell much from that picture...Looks to me like you need to clear some "stuff" away from the area and take another picture so we can really see what is going on there.

If you cannot find at least one more 2" pipe coming out of the ground then you need to plan on breaking up some of that floor and installing a vent for toilet/sink/shower....??

In Massachusetts, the uniform plumbing code states that "In a single bathroom having a common horizontal waste for lavatory and bath/shower, a 2" waste and vent for the lavatory may serve as a WET VENT for the bath/shower".

This could also be said about the toilet...as long as lavatory waste/vent is 2" full size to attic or penetrates roof by itself.

My point here is simply that there needs to be other pipes coming out of the ground or, as stated, you will be chopping some concrete out to pipe the bathroom properly.

Good luck...let us know what you find when clean area of all "stuff"!
Boston Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:47 PM   #6
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Which pipes are which?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Plumber View Post
Hi everyone:

I also can't tell much from that picture...Looks to me like you need to clear some "stuff" away from the area and take another picture so we can really see what is going on there.

If you cannot find at least one more 2" pipe coming out of the ground then you need to plan on breaking up some of that floor and installing a vent for toilet/sink/shower....??

In Massachusetts, the uniform plumbing code states that "In a single bathroom having a common horizontal waste for lavatory and bath/shower, a 2" waste and vent for the lavatory may serve as a WET VENT for the bath/shower".

This could also be said about the toilet...as long as lavatory waste/vent is 2" full size to attic or penetrates roof by itself.

My point here is simply that there needs to be other pipes coming out of the ground or, as stated, you will be chopping some concrete out to pipe the bathroom properly.

Good luck...let us know what you find when clean area of all "stuff"!
This is all really subject to local code.... we can actually wet vent up to 4 fixtures here as long as they are only 1 and 2 fixture unit fixtures. That toilet vent would take a T/S combo and a lav with no problems. I'm not sure what UPC says, I believe that is an Oregon amendment...