Pipe From Water Heater Leaking - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

Pipe from water heater leaking

Hello all. Made a horrific discovery last night when I walked into the kitchen. There was water all over the floor and some of it was seeping into my living room carpet! I opened up my water heater closet to find that the pipe coming out of it had a very steady leak of pouring water.

I rushed down to turn off the water supply so I could do a search. I opened up a hole about 6 inches from where the pipe comes into the closet to find the culprit.

As you can see, I outlined where the leak was coming from with the red line. It seems as though the whole connection just cracked in half. I had my wife turn on the water while I could watch it and it just POURED out of that connection. I've put plumbers goop on it for the time being.

My question is, what is the best way to fix the problem and what kind of tools do I need? I'm assuming I just need to take out that entire piece, but how would I extend the pipe enough to connect them back together?

Also, I know this isn't a law forum () but this is now the third pipe in a 10 year old home that has had a leak that we have had to fix. Does this seem normal and would there be any action we could take on the builder/inspector?

Thanks for all the help!!

Advertisement

pansenbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:02 PM   #2

Looks like the cracked fitting is a CPVC female adapter.

The quickest fix would be to buy two sharkbite couplings of the appropriate size and a short length of either copper or CPVC pipe.

Cut the copper 8 or 9 inches below the male adapter and cut the CPVC 8 or 9 inches above the female adapter and then rejoin the section of tubing with the sharkbites and the length of piping you bought.

This advice is predicated on the assumption that there are no other fittings within the 16 or 18 inches of piping you cut out.

Advertisement

Widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Widdershins For This Useful Post:
pansenbaer (03-09-2011)
Old 03-09-2011, 01:09 PM   #3

Did exactly that! Although, they have Gatorbite where I live Everything worked find and I think I'm in the clear. Thanks!
pansenbaer is offline   Reply With Quote