Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Pipe U-Turn

An ancient connection draining a tub gave way.

The tub drains through a 1.5" horizontal brass pipe into a 2" vertical shaft, where it travels down 3 inches (from pipe center to pipe center, or about 0.5 inches between pipe walls) and leaves in the same direction it came from, but about 40 degrees to the left.

Is there any good way to make a connection like that? If not, is there any bad way to make a connection like that that will still work?

The pipes are close enough together that there doesn't seem to be room to use most fittings.

(The connection I am replacing drains through a 2" lead pipe that is round-ish, but then weaves through pipes, into a trap, and curves back around into the horizontal sloped 4" cast-iron waste line)

Edit: Pics Follow.

The vertical distance between the pipe centers is about 3"

There is not a lot of room to work with.

This is where the drain goes--there are actually two tubs draining here. There is a trap in the drain line we are going into already, so using a trap to make the 140 degree turn and 3" drop would create a double-trap.

Last edited by Tom738; 08-09-2013 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Adding Pics
Tom738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #2

Pipe U-Turn

Sounds like quite a project. We could help a lot more if you could post a picture.

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum. Watch out for spell check

Old 08-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Pipe U-Turn

Not ancient, they still use Drum traps for various reasons. Just remove and plumb with a standard trap and drain for the tub.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Tom738 (08-09-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #4

Pipe U-Turn

Added pics. I am trying to avoid quite a project.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #5

Pipe U-Turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Not ancient, they still use Drum traps for various reasons. Just remove and plumb with a standard trap and drain for the tub.
Interesting. Thanks for the name--drum trap--I'll see if I can find one that will fit there. The size looks a little off--6" with 1.5" diameter holes near either end of the drum suggests the spacing is too big to work--but maybe I can find a shorter one.

(A standard trap there would create a double-trap with the old lead pipe, and I'm not sure I can get through that mess with new rigid pipe to reconnect to the lead further down the line.)
Old 08-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #6

Pipe U-Turn

All that old pipe needed to go years ago. Redo the whole thing.
gregzoll (08-09-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #7

Pipe U-Turn

You won't have much luck with a new drum trap- they have been illegal traps for tub use for quite some time.
As for lead pipe- it's outdated/obsolete too.

Like Joe said- your best and maybe only option is to remove the lead pipe and traps- replace with DWV plastic pipe and fittings- lead is hard to patch, it's a lost art. Most plumbers have not been exposed to it.

You're up against a very challenging DIY project. Consider getting some quotes from a few plumbers.
If you want to tackle it- guys here will help- put set aside a few nights/days for this.
That is one nasty looking job to tackle
Tom738 (08-09-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Pipe U-Turn

EPlumber, that is why there is microbrews, paper & pencils for stuff like this. Or just do like most of us, and grab a carpenter's pencil and just doodle on the sub floor, or the back of a piece of drywall, as you think it out.

Of course if the OP is lucky and can find a guy or gal like my plumber, they will fix this mess, and while you are standing there watching, it amazes you that they can do it without having to draw anything out on paper, or sit there and think about it.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote