Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2012, 12:38 AM   #1

Share |

Pipe type for external hose bib

I want to run a hose bib on the outside of my house. It will need to exit the house and make about a 10 foot run after a 90 because the place I have access to exit from the house just so happens to be where my AC unit is and want to avoid a house bib being anywhere near the condenser unit or junction box.

So if I am running water line outside, what type of pipe can/should I use? PVC, copper, steel? Should I always run it underground?

I am aware I need backflow and blow out the pipe for winter usage.

BrandonC_1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:48 AM   #2

Well that's confusing? Why do you need it 10' from the house and not just attached to the side of the house?
Water is not going to hurt the the box on the side of the house or the condencer.
When the lines gets tap under the house you could just run it any were you want it to be and attach to to the side of the house and just run a hose from to where ever you needed it.
If you use a freeze proof sill cock it comes with a vacuum breaker.
Use shark bite fittings and Pex tubing and make it a simple job.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:37 AM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonC_1972 View Post
...want to avoid a house bib being anywhere near the condenser unit or junction box.
I can't think of any good reason for this to be so...
or at least none based on the mechanical or electrical aspects of the condenser.

Quote:
So if I am running water line outside, what type of pipe can/should I use?
I'd suggest using the same material all the other plumbing in the house uses.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #4

Do not leave PEX exposed to sunlight. I'd run it in copper or galvanized steel.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #5

I was suggesting using it under the house not outside exposed.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #6

Thanks for all the replies.

If I could draw or took a photo it would have made a little more sense. I would be running the line on the side of the house, not away from the house. The purpose of the 10 foot run after exit the house was to be be away from the condenser and the j-box.

Totally understand that these components as properly installed should not be affected by water (it sits outside in the rain, so it better be).

It is part safety and part congestion. If the hose bib is right where the condenser is then it is less convenient to get to and the potential for a hazzard is increased (children shooting garden hose directly into j-box, fingers near the condenser fan, etc).

I didn't want to get into too much detail, but I should have mentioned that someday I might consider a irrigation system and would also use this line for its main source line. Thus while using a hose bib at house level would be good for gardening, doing the Y or T connection off a hose bib to feed the irrigaiton system would not.

So I don't recall ever seeing PVC run outside above ground or in ground and didn't know if using galvenized was required by code or at least preferred. Copper can be underground becasue that has been my main line for as long as I can tell.'

BrandonC_1972 is online now   Reply With Quote