Pipe Liner Problems? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2011, 11:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Pipe Liner Problems?

So I have a sewer issue. About a year ago I had an estimate from a reputable (so i thought) plubmer that have me a good bid on having the sewer lined from the cleanout to the city connection. I called him today to schedule it (got a tax refund and now have a little scratch). Wen I spoke to him he said that he won't do liners any more becaseu (get this) there are a lot of probelms with them. HE said that they are delamintaing in the pipe and that the city won't even allow them to install them anymore. He said that I would now have to have to have a pipe bursting procedure done instead of the liner. Well, this isn'tgood for me becuase 1) its $1800 more according to him and 2) it jacks up my driveway.

My wife called building and safety and they basically said that this claim wasn't true. Also, she called 4 different plumbers that all said this isn't true.

So my question is this.... has ANYONE heard of ANY negative press on the liner procedure? I haven't been able to find anything.

Thanks.... Joey

Advertisement

joeythebanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:21 PM   #2
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,634

Pipe Liner Problems?

Just helped on a 60ft liner last week. The folks here have no issues with them. I do know that one liner supply company had some issues several years ago but I have no details or facts.
Are there other plumbers in your area that line?

Advertisement

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:26 PM   #3

Pipe Liner Problems?

yeah there are a number of them. this is the only guy that i have foudnt hat won't do it. funny thing is that he was gun ho on it a year ago and now he isn't. i kind of don't trust him and his opinion on the matter. he specifically told me that the city wouldn't allow it and that sinply ain't the truth. my wife call both the cty and county building and safety departments.... los angeles
Old 03-08-2011, 11:38 PM   #4
Plumber/Contractor

Pipe Liner Problems?

Is your pipe partially collapsed or separated? It may have lost it's integrity to the point that a liner may not be a good option. Perhaps, using this reasoning, he is second guessing the city and would rather burst. But this doesn't explain his "line" about the liner material failing. I'm at a loss.. We try to line our replacement/repair work when we can. We did that 60' job in about 8 hrs and didn't put a shovel in the grass.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:42 PM   #5

Pipe Liner Problems?

yeah... i don't know about this. i am pretty sure its a con job into mo' money... too bad too because of all the plumbers in the area i live in i would have preferred him. oh well.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:58 PM   #6
Plumber/Contractor

Pipe Liner Problems?

Sounds like you need to take a day or two and get some other bids and ideas from his competitors. Don't bid shop him though, nothing makes me madder then hearing a homeowner say "Joe will do it for $xxx, can you beat that?" Just have the plumbers camera the line, give their proposal on how to fix the problem, then make your choice. Low bid is not always the best.

Advertisement

Tags
liner , perma , perma-liner , pipeliner