Pipe Layout And Water Flow - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2008, 10:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

pipe layout and water flow

As I was doing the job in my house I had thoughts about how it might otherwise be done. Curious to hear what you think....

Smack dab in the middle of a house is the water heater. You have a bathroom at each end of the house, the hot water line T's above the heater. Not enough hot water, you need to add a second water heater. (yes, you could get a bigger one, but that is not the point). Here are 3 options I see in plumbing them:

1. Cold water flows into unit 1, hot flows out and into unit 2, then unit 2 connects to the main line.

2. Cold inflow T's before the units, feeds each separately, then the outflows T back together and then into the main line.

3. Cold inflow T's before the units, feeds each separately, then they individually tie into the main line. ......my theory here was that one would feed each end of the house but the main line would stay in tact.

I really have no idea if one would be better than the other but I thought it was a darn good question!

Advertisement

moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:32 PM   #2
Journeyman Plumber

Rewards Points: 1,000

Draw it and and post it for visual.

Advertisement

2008 Oregon Specialty Plumbing Codes
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:16 AM   #3
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 150

Method #1 is piped in series. (the first unit "works harder" but could use less energy as the second unit being fed by the first may not even use energy without the full usage of the first unit) I went to a house yesterday that had (3) 50 gal gas units in series with a recirc pump... WOW....I imagine the 3rd unit may never fire.

Method #2 is piped in parallel. This is generally considered the preferred method provided the the tees are centered between each of the hot connections and each of the cold connections, any diagrams you see for this method show them being balanced, in other words, take the measurement between the two cold inlets and divide by 2 and this is where the tee goes and the risers must also match, do likewise on the hot connections.

I don't know what to call #3 but I guess it would work although perhaps there would be a pressure reduction when running multiple fixtures on opposite sides of the house.
jpplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:59 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

That was pretty much my line of thinking, just curious how the plumbing pro's would do it. In #2, what do you mean by "the risers must also match"? "Risers" is in my electrical vocabulary but can't say i've gotten it into my plumbing yet...
moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:07 PM   #5
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 150

I'm sorry. Riser off the nipple of the water heater. Essentially what you do off of one water heater should be a mirror image to connect to the other water heater.
jpplumber is offline   Reply With Quote