Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2011, 02:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Send a message via AIM to profenx

Pipe knocking/rattle in wall

Hi people!

question:
Should i cut into the wall and risk it?

problem:
I have some rattling/knocking sound in my wall. I've read a few things about it on the web and it is probably a loose anchor or something. When i put my ears to the wall it sounds like a hard knocking/swaying and when the water is turned off gently it sounds like something rotating.

I was curious why this would happen if i have concrete slab and the pipe goes about 2 feet up to the tub fixture then to the shower fixture. how much movement would the pipe make if only such a short pipe from the ground?

It used to be a faint noise from the kitchen sink (and i couldn't figure out where it was exactly. from the side by side restroom i could hear it in both but now it seems noise is coming from this wall behind tub) and suddenly just started knocking this summer. now heard right after any fixture is shut off. the kitchen sink is furthest from the knocking but creates the most/loudest knocking.

Also, is it strange that this knocking occurs with both the hot and cold water? I don't think it would share the same pipe.

I'm thinking about ripping out a small section of the drywall in the bedroom adjacent to the tub. Would this be a good idea? If it is a loose anchor i should be able to fix it easily no? But also read that the noise could sound like it originates there and might not be. I've listened to all walls and this is the loudest.

Should i cut into the wall and risk it?

waterline info:
waterline goes south into the north side of house to shower. Splits south(kitchen) and east (tub). somehow it goes south east to the water heater.

Thanks!

profenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:33 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,916

Go to the store and purchase a plastic access cover---then cut an access to match the cover--

something is not fastened properly---and 'knockers' (air chambers) may not have been installed on the lines.----Open the wall and look----Mike---

Old 10-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

It sounds like a water hammer to me.
AlbacoreShuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

The knocking could also come from air in the line when you run the faucets or shower does it spit water out at all? All the plumbing is on same wall or no.

HP Properties Capital Projects
Mark Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:55 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 25
Send a message via AIM to profenx

Thanks for the access cover idea. Sounds good. I won't have to cover it up and can look at it again if it is the problem.

the plumbing is like a large L the top of the L being the kitchen faucet. the bottom of the L is the shower/sink and the right bottom of the L is the tub. If looking north up ... the L would be upside down.

Just bizzare both lines are affected and ... it suddenly started knocking and rattling. Literall one night I heard it loud and clear.

There is no air in any of the inside fixtures...however ... right outside the exterior wall of the shower is a hose spigot. That hose ... spits out air. I don't know where or why but ... it spits out air everytime i turn it on.

I'll cut the wall ... surgery !

Thanks for the input. First time cutting into a wall ... wish me luck.

edit: forgot to mention these lines are probably over 50 years old.
profenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:13 AM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,916

Good luck--post pictures if you can---
Old 10-06-2011, 10:01 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by profenx
Thanks for the access cover idea. Sounds good. I won't have to cover it up and can look at it again if it is the problem.

the plumbing is like a large L the top of the L being the kitchen faucet. the bottom of the L is the shower/sink and the right bottom of the L is the tub. If looking north up ... the L would be upside down.

Just bizzare both lines are affected and ... it suddenly started knocking and rattling. Literall one night I heard it loud and clear.

There is no air in any of the inside fixtures...however ... right outside the exterior wall of the shower is a hose spigot. That hose ... spits out air. I don't know where or why but ... it spits out air everytime i turn it on.

I'll cut the wall ... surgery !

Thanks for the input. First time cutting into a wall ... wish me luck.

edit: forgot to mention these lines are probably over 50 years old.
If it's your first time in cutting wall it will help to make your lines were to cut first by using a level in some cases if the peice comes out nice and clean and you have studs there u can pop the piece back in should fit snug this way you done have to put plywood or luan.
The outside spickit will do that with air or any ball valve the difference is.... faucets have cartridges for the pressor that comes out of the line, shower body's have cartridges if it's single handle or if it has hat and cold there are what you call stems
Which do the same thing.
Just FYI and good conversation topic lol

HP Properties Capital Projects

Mark Potter is offline   Reply With Quote