Which Pipe For Hot/cold To Outbuilding? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

which pipe for hot/cold to outbuilding?

I'm planning on adding a bathroom (toilet, sink, shower) to a previously existing outbuilding and have a question on which type of pipe to use.
The water supply, both hot and cold, is about 15' inside the crawl space of the house and then would need to travel and additional ~15'-35' (depending on how I run it) underground to terminate in the new bathroom.

My questions are:

1) Is it even feasible to run hot water in this manner? The location is western Washington state and it doesn't get terribly cold here - maybe only a week or two below freezing per year. I really, really don't want to install a secondary heating source in the new bathroom if I can help it.

2) What types of pipe should I use for each of the two lines?

Advertisement

KingCrabLegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 712

I'd use Pex and I would never try and run hot water underground that far.
Guess your not going to do any of this with a permit.

Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,638

Pex is what I'd use
You can insulate the hot line- I've piped steam and hydronic lines underground between structures before with lots of insulation
Bury it and the cold at the depth required by local code.
But what are you doing for waste piping?
I believe you're under UPC and if I remember right- 2 buildings cannot share a common sewer line. Not sure about the water piping either. Best to check before proceeding
Old 04-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Pex is what I'd use
You can insulate the hot line- I've piped steam and hydronic lines underground between structures before with lots of insulation
Bury it and the cold at the depth required by local code.
But what are you doing for waste piping?
I believe you're under UPC and if I remember right- 2 buildings cannot share a common sewer line. Not sure about the water piping either. Best to check before proceeding
The waste line will be fairly straight-forward, the septic tank is right between the two buildings. Might be a grading issue and I might need a pump.

What material would you use to insulate the Pex? If it's not feasible to do the hot water then I would very reluctantly search for a different option - that's why I asked the question.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,048

Year 'round you will be running the water for a long time waiting for hot water to arrive at the shower in the outbuilding.

You will have to figure out (or just decide) whether a point of use heater in the outbuilding is worth saving all the water you run.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ
Year 'round you will be running the water for a long time waiting for hot water to arrive at the shower in the outbuilding.

You will have to figure out (or just decide) whether a point of use heater in the outbuilding is worth saving all the water you run.
Yeah, that's kind of the problem. I have no idea how long it will take the hot water to get there so I can't even really make and educated guess on whether the trade off is worth it.

One of the reasons against a point of use heater is that I don't have too much electrical to spare.

Hmmmm....
Old 04-22-2013, 10:24 PM   #7
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Based on your estimation (15 feet from the crawl space and conservatively another 35 feet underground to the outbuilding) you should have approximately 2 gallons of water in the line you will have to purge before hot starts showing up. This isn't taking into account any distance from that point to the hot water heater.

If your 2 gallon per minute faucet is run wide open then i'd say you have a 60 second wait at least, but probably more than that just based on other factors such as air and ground temperature, and the mixing of the water in the line as it first starts to flow. I'd say you have more like 2 minutes before straight hot water shows up.

Now your shower on the other hand even at a 2.5 gallon per minute rate of flow will never see that much flow, because it's always mixed (shared if you will, between hot and cold). So therefore trying to purge the hot line from the shower valve is going to take a bit longer.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
Based on your estimation (15 feet from the crawl space and conservatively another 35 feet underground to the outbuilding) you should have approximately 2 gallons of water in the line you will have to purge before hot starts showing up. This isn't taking into account any distance from that point to the hot water heater.

If your 2 gallon per minute faucet is run wide open then i'd say you have a 60 second wait at least, but probably more than that just based on other factors such as air and ground temperature, and the mixing of the water in the line as it first starts to flow. I'd say you have more like 2 minutes before straight hot water shows up.

Now your shower on the other hand even at a 2.5 gallon per minute rate of flow will never see that much flow, because it's always mixed (shared if you will, between hot and cold). So therefore trying to purge the hot line from the shower valve is going to take a bit longer.

Thanks Alan- that's some great data to work with. I think you guys have convinced me to just run the cold water and add a secondary water heater in the outbuilding.
Thanks a bunch, I really appreciate it.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:54 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,048

Oh, by the way, after the slug of cooled off water has been run out of the pipe, the first slug of hot water coming through will have lost much of its heat heating up the pipe. So you could well be running out twice the volume of the pipe before you get hot water.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:35 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,232

If you have a power issue, why not get a small gas water heater and use propane?
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
If you have a power issue, why not get a small gas water heater and use propane?
I haven't considered all of the different water heater options yet. I just wanted the simplest/lowest maintenance installation. I figured that extending the hot water line would be feasible and the best solution.

It might be worth a separate thread to determine an optimal secondary water heater source. The outbuilding is a work-from-home office / shop / workout room. I'd only need the hot water for a max of one shower per day and then the usual hand washing, etc. The shower would have to be *hot* though - warm doesn't cut it for me.

Most of my electrical capacity in the outbuilding is already used up. I'm not sure I could support an electrical water heater, especially during winter when I have two separate electric heaters already running (2 floors). There is a gas line (for a fireplace off the main house) that is accessible between the two structures but tapping into gas is a little beyond my DIY comfort level.

Advertisement