Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2011, 08:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Pipe Freeze Panic...

Soooo we just bought this heritage home in desperate need of repair. We've just updated all of the wiring, but there was a side addition built on the north side of the house where the only bathroom is. We are currently building a bathroom so that the bathroom plumbing can be inside the basement of the house.
Currently, the pipes for the bathroom in the addition are just under the foundation of the addition (Above ground.) and that foundation is sprayfoamed to a degree. The old owners (this isn't even the half of it..) had electric heaters sitting under this crawl space (I'm guessing to keep the pipes warm)

Is there anything I can do to prevent the pipes from freezing? we can't reroute the plumbing for about another 2 weeks due to the room not being ready. Is there anything you'd suggest?

Mandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:56 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,108

Pipe Freeze Panic...

Ayuh,... For just 2 weeks, I'd think an electric milkhouse heater, set for 'bout 40° oughta keep things from freezing...

Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:58 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Pipe Freeze Panic...

I'm not sure if i'm comfortable with an electric heater down there... we aren't in the house yet... and if anything were to happen? Are they safe to run for awhile?
Mandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:01 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Pipe Freeze Panic...

the first house i ever lived in (rented) had no insulating factor for the crawl space at all, just a rock foundation. It was a small 1bed 1bath. Every time the temp got down, the pipes would freeze and i'd have to go under and thaw them with a torch. As a temporary fix, i lined the outside of the foundation with bales of hay from a neighbor. We moved the following spring, but the rest of that winter, the pipes didn't freeze. It's a temporary fix, but for a couple of weeks it might work. Just make sure there are no smokers around that could flick a live butt near the hay.

edited: ya might wanna leave a small stream of water running also to help keep it from freezing.

Last edited by Lightfoot; 12-28-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:13 AM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,108

Pipe Freeze Panic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandie View Post
I'm not sure if i'm comfortable with an electric heater down there... we aren't in the house yet... and if anything were to happen? Are they safe to run for awhile?
Ayuh,... I leave a milkhouse heater in my rental 100% of the time,...
It'll only come on, if the tenant leaves the heat to low to protect the pipes...
It acts on it's own thermostat, 'n has a tip-over switch....

It's been there 6 or 8 years now, with no ill effects...

It's also been that long since I had to replumb the place from a tenant thinkin' portable electric heaters(within the living space) were more efficient/ cheaper than runnin' the oil boiler...
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:18 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Pipe Freeze Panic...

You want wrap on pipe heating cable. It's a low wattage cable that you spiral wrap around your pipe that keeps it warm enough to prevent freezing.

http://www.amazon.com/M-D-Building-P...5081850&sr=8-1
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:53 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 256

Pipe Freeze Panic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironlight View Post
You want wrap on pipe heating cable. It's a low wattage cable that you spiral wrap around your pipe that keeps it warm enough to prevent freezing.

http://www.amazon.com/M-D-Building-P...5081850&sr=8-1
Agree. As long as you have power reasonably close, this is a nice solution. You can run them off an extension cord as well, just make sure it cam handle the wattage, esp if you plan to run more than one on the cord.

dougp23 is offline   Reply With Quote