Pipe Fell Down Well-- Help Me Get It Out? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2008, 09:15 AM   #16
Whatamess
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 423
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Pipe fell down well-- Help me get it out?


I am still wondering how this can be a one pipe system at that depth.

Advertisement

__________________
I may go home hungry, but not tired and hungry.
TazinCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:19 PM   #17
Mold!! Let's kill it!
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,849
Rewards Points: 2,012
Default

Pipe fell down well-- Help me get it out?


Quote:
Originally Posted by TazinCR View Post
I am still wondering how this can be a one pipe system at that depth.
He didn't say it was a one pipe system. He only said he lost one pipe down the casing.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:36 PM   #18
A "Handy Husband"
 
rjniles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Carolina Low Country
Posts: 4,239
Rewards Points: 2,388
Default

Pipe fell down well-- Help me get it out?


The plot thickens: I have determined that the top of the water in the well is down 47 feet, The top of the lost pipe is about 10 feet below that. I got the biggest toggle bolt that would fit into the 1 " pipe, Attached to a 2 foot section of 1 " pipe weighted with lead anchors. Managed to snag lost pipe several times, could not budge pipe, but bent the heavy duty toggle.

Found info scratched into the concrete well curb indicating well is 610 feet deep. If there is 500 feet of pipe filled with water there is no way in the world I will be able to snag it with something that could lift it, even with a winch.

Time to call a pro well driller.
rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:55 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Pipe fell down well-- Help me get it out?


Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
The plot thickens: I have determined that the top of the water in the well is down 47 feet, The top of the lost pipe is about 10 feet below that. I got the biggest toggle bolt that would fit into the 1 " pipe, Attached to a 2 foot section of 1 " pipe weighted with lead anchors. Managed to snag lost pipe several times, could not budge pipe, but bent the heavy duty toggle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post

Found info scratched into the concrete well curb indicating well is 610 feet deep. If there is 500 feet of pipe filled with water there is no way in the world I will be able to snag it with something that could lift it, even with a winch.

Time to call a pro well driller.
Nah, c'mon, you can do this. . .

For PVC, ID=1.0", OD = 1.25", 500', I make the pipe out to weigh ~140#, but the water will make this weight appear less.

If you can make an airtight seal with the top of the lost pipe, and force air into the top of the lost pipe, it will rise.
If the air is delivered into the lost pipe at high CFM, the pipe might rise quickly enough, even with air leaks, for you to have a chance to snag it.
I don't know how much PSI the seal between the lost pipe and the air supply pipe will have to withstand.

I don't guess you can post a cross-sectional drawing of what this well probably looks like?
Dunno' much about wells.


You might try cut and pasting this line into the Google search box

pipe retrieval equip

Here's one hit
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6758267.html

You might be able to find a place that will rent you pipe extraction equipment.


[Georgia, 3, B]

Last edited by Yoyizit; 07-30-2008 at 03:08 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:59 AM   #20
A "Handy Husband"
 
rjniles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Carolina Low Country
Posts: 4,239
Rewards Points: 2,388
Default

Pipe fell down well-- Help me get it out?


An update on my lost pipe down well.

I have found out what I have is a packer jet system, it use a jet pump on top of the casing, and a packer jet down in the well (on the end of the lost pipe). The packer uses leather washers to create a seal between the down pipe and the PVC well casing. Below the packer is a another down pipe that can extend up to 25 feet. It works similar to a 2 pipe system jet pump system except it uses the casing as a second down pipe.

I have determined that the packer is down 150 feet (lead weight and string). The top of the down pipe is 70 feet down under 20 feet of water. Below the packer is an unknown length of pipe (max 25 feet). To the bottom of the well ?? (if the note on the well curb is right it is 610 feet)

I have determined a 3/4" galanized nipple will thread into the 1 inch PVC down pipe faifly tightly. I am rigging up 70 feet of pipe with the 3/4 gal. nipple on the bottom. I will also attach a pull rope at the bottom end (packer jets are notoriously hard to pull). At the top I am making a connection for my air compressor. I intend to run this rig into the well, try to thread the nipple into the lost pipe. Use the compressor to blow out the water and use the rope to pull everthing up.

Maybe a long shot, but wish me luck.
rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:05 AM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Pipe fell down well-- Help me get it out?


Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
An update on my lost pipe down well.

I have found out what I have is a packer jet system, it use a jet pump on top of the casing, and a packer jet down in the well (on the end of the lost pipe). The packer uses leather washers to create a seal between the down pipe and the PVC well casing. Below the packer is a another down pipe that can extend up to 25 feet. It works similar to a 2 pipe system jet pump system except it uses the casing as a second down pipe.

I have determined that the packer is down 150 feet (lead weight and string). The top of the down pipe is 70 feet down under 20 feet of water. Below the packer is an unknown length of pipe (max 25 feet). To the bottom of the well ?? (if the note on the well curb is right it is 610 feet)

I have determined a 3/4" galanized nipple will thread into the 1 inch PVC down pipe faifly tightly. I am rigging up 70 feet of pipe with the 3/4 gal. nipple on the bottom. I will also attach a pull rope at the bottom end (packer jets are notoriously hard to pull). At the top I am making a connection for my air compressor. I intend to run this rig into the well, try to thread the nipple into the lost pipe. Use the compressor to blow out the water and use the rope to pull everthing up.

Maybe a long shot, but wish me luck.
So far , so good.

You know. . .speaking of luck. . .if this actually works you will probably have used up a considerable portion of your total lifetime allotment of luck!

Last edited by Yoyizit; 07-31-2008 at 11:41 AM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:01 PM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Pipe fell down well-- Help me get it out?


Some of the stuff I learned in school is coming back to me.

For 150' of pipe fully submerged, you need (150/32)*15 = 70 PSI to push all of the water out of the pipe if the pipe doesn't rise while you do this.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:20 PM   #23
Don't know it all, yet!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Metro Atlanta, GA
Posts: 910
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Pipe fell down well-- Help me get it out?


Just a shot here, but I have seen tools for unlocking car doors that are made for post-type lock like in the 70's-80's. Looked like a washer on a wire. Could you maybe make some kind of ring (that will just fit over the pipe), hook it over the end of the pipe like a dog coller, and pull. The ring will cock and bite as you pull on it.
__________________
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right. If you wouldn't put your name on it, it ain't done right!
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:39 AM   #24
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: north east
Posts: 728
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Pipe fell down well-- Help me get it out?


I would figure looking down a 2.5" hole, basically with no light to work with, you won't be able to know if you're looking at the lost pipe or the remaining pipe, maybe you turn your attention to just trying to hook up a new section of pipe to the feed pipe in the casing, not sure if leaving a section of pipe in the casing is going to bother anything, even if you pull out the lost section, you still have to connect it to remaining pipe. Maybe skipping a step will alieve some stress. A new section of pipe w/coupler, glue in place you might be able to push it onto the good remaining section. Or, is there room to put a complete new section of flex pipe down the casing, straight from pump to well bottom.
One last thought, you could have big picnic and we all take turns with the shovel.
DUDE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:04 PM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Pipe fell down well-- Help me get it out?


If you are able to pull this pipe out, Mr. Niles, you have the right to change your name to



Last edited by Yoyizit; 08-03-2008 at 09:09 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:01 AM   #26
A "Handy Husband"
 
rjniles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Carolina Low Country
Posts: 4,239
Rewards Points: 2,388
Default

Pipe fell down well-- Help me get it out?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
If you are able to pull this pipe out, Mr. Niles, you have the right to change your name to



Yoyizit wants to nickname me "Shaft"

An update:

Measured well this AM with lead and string.
Packer is down at 260', meaning the top of the pipe is down 190' (down pipe is 70 ' long). It is now too far for me to reach with anything I have. By this time it must be out of the well casing and into the drilled bore hole. My hope now is that it will continue to drop deeper into the 610 ' well. If it drops below the water bearing rock strata, I should be able to install a new packer jet and down pipe. I am testing this by filling the well with my garden hose. The well fills to overflow in a few minutes. Once (or if ) the packer gets below the water bearing strata I should not be able to fill the well. Probably my last hope to save the well. Anyone have a deep well packer jet for sale?
rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:51 AM   #27
A "Handy Husband"
 
rjniles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Carolina Low Country
Posts: 4,239
Rewards Points: 2,388
Default

Pipe fell down well-- Help me get it out?


Update:

Used a few fittings to seal the top of the casing to connect my air compressor. Filled well to the top with water. Started adding air the pressure, built up to about 20 PSI and a terrific woosh and the pressure dropped to nothing and would not increase. Measured water level at about 45 feet and goes not get higher when I add water. Dropped long string and weight, packer is below 500 feet (all the string I had). Purchased a new packer jet from Craig's List and will install when it arrives. Hopefully I have salvaged my well.

Last edited by rjniles; 08-07-2008 at 06:52 AM. Reason: added info
rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:39 PM   #28
Member
 
biggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,630
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Pipe fell down well-- Help me get it out?


take a wall anchor with that butterfly spring clips at the end of the bolt types you use to anchor into sheet rock say heavy mirrors or shelfs around the hose....now the trick take a PVC 1/2" cap drill a hole into it slide the bolt thru from the glue side and lock it with a washer and nut....put the butter fly on the end of the bolt and glue the cap onto your 1/2 PVC lenghts.use a butterfly that will fit into the target pipe as it slides down it will spring open as it gets to the open end of the lost pipe...might be able to just get it inside the pipe and it wil lock up into the inside of the lost pipe and its weight will help as you pull up on the 1/2" fisher pipe

Advertisement

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Backing off OLD galvanizd pipe...& PVC to cast iron michael76 Plumbing 13 02-18-2009 12:18 AM
Underground orangeburgh pipe leading to storm sewer is blocked somewhere flashme18 Plumbing 10 07-22-2008 12:48 AM
PVC pipe broken on Gas Furnace/AC unit Keyo77 HVAC 8 10-16-2007 04:08 AM
Replacement pipe for hot water heat? Tmb9862 HVAC 18 01-12-2007 04:31 PM
Need to support 15th of ABS pipe irishtimes101 Plumbing 3 09-01-2006 12:09 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts