Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

Picking a new water heater.....

Well, my water heater is manufactured in 1969 and I think it's finally starting to consider giving up on me.

It's a 40 gal nat. gas one.

Is there any science to this? It's a small 1.5 bathroom house so i'm not going fancy or tankless - just need something similar.

OK to just grab a 40 gallon one at one of the local big box stores?

CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:01 AM   #2
Always learning...

Rewards Points: 250

Yep, sounds like any natural gas water heater would work for you. If you haven't had any issues with running out of hot water quickly then staying with a 40gal model would make sense, otherwise you could upgrade to a larger 50 or 60gal model. The tradeoff is obviously a higher purchase cost as well as operating cost. Also if your water heater has a tight fit wherever you have it situated, the larger model might not be an option.

All in all not much to it. I replaced my 40gal two years ago, two trips to Lowes and half a Saturday and I was good to go. Good luck!

fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:53 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetzer85 View Post
Yep, sounds like any natural gas water heater would work for you. If you haven't had any issues with running out of hot water quickly then staying with a 40gal model would make sense, otherwise you could upgrade to a larger 50 or 60gal model. The tradeoff is obviously a higher purchase cost as well as operating cost. Also if your water heater has a tight fit wherever you have it situated, the larger model might not be an option.

All in all not much to it. I replaced my 40gal two years ago, two trips to Lowes and half a Saturday and I was good to go. Good luck!
I replaced mine about 3 years ago, and totally agree with fetzer about the size of the unit, make sure you check DIA and overall height. Another consideration when picking out a new one with height in reference is will the new exhaust match up correctly. You also might need to check with your local code to verify if you need a update to any of the plumbing for the unit or expansion tank. I know here where I live if someone sees a old tank out by the road, most likely you will see a local inspector showing up at their house to check if it was installed properly because an expansion tank is code here from what I understand.
mferguson0414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
Coconut Pete's paella!

No issues w/ space at all - the old one is hanging out on a big empty space next to the furnace. I should post a pic of it - you guys will get a kick out of it. It's pink and made of copper!

Maybe I'll consider upgrading to a 50gal instead of the 40 since we are thinking about adding a family member in the next 1.5 - 2 yrs.

I will probably call someone to have it installed - I am pretty handy but i HAAAAATE sweating pipe.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:01 AM   #5

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,068

Just make sure the P/T release works and is discharged at the right height above the floor. No threads, caps or restrictions allowed on the discharge.

The altitude record for one from the basement through a two story home is over 300' due to improper or obstructed relief. On the "Myth Busters" TV show they got to about 500' through a flimsy roof.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:03 AM   #6
Coconut Pete's paella!

I LOOOOVED that episode of Mythbusters!

So P/T .... Pressure / ????? What does the T mean?

So if I understand you correct - I can't attach a hose to the pressure relief pipe and run it to a sink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
Just make sure the P/T release works and is discharged at the right height above the floor. No threads, caps or restrictions allowed on the discharge.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:55 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoconutPete View Post
It's pink and made of copper!
How much is the scrap metal guy going to give you for it?? Might pay for the new one.
ferris13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:18 PM   #8
Coconut Pete's paella!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferris13 View Post
How much is the scrap metal guy going to give you for it?? Might pay for the new one.
I'm not sure, but there is no way in hell I am just going to let the guy haul it away haha. I'm going to see if I can get a little $ for it first.

Not sure if I should crack it open or what......
Old 02-25-2010, 05:56 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

40 gallon plenty big, you will end up spending more on a bigger model whenyou need not. rule of thumb is 5 gallons per fixture. tub,lav,kit,dishwasher,laundry,another lav. don't overkill especially when your heater is heating up 24 hrs a day , no need to pay for a bigger unit when not needed. if you need to save money, they do make flexible hookups to make it easier, which are compression
holman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:08 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,000

might find a bootlegger on craigs list for nice still. you probably need a plumber to make gas connection legit even if its an easy hookup, worth checking
Old 02-25-2010, 11:27 PM   #11
Always learning...

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by holman23 View Post
40 gallon plenty big, you will end up spending more on a bigger model whenyou need not. rule of thumb is 5 gallons per fixture. tub,lav,kit,dishwasher,laundry,another lav. don't overkill especially when your heater is heating up 24 hrs a day , no need to pay for a bigger unit when not needed. if you need to save money, they do make flexible hookups to make it easier, which are compression
I understand your logic but this is not the only thing to consider. If you have 5 or 6 people living in a house and you all bathe in the morning, I seriously doubt a 40gal will cut it unless you've got a very restrictive shower head and you take speed showers.
fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:24 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,000

I went with 50g as I like long hot showers quite often
We have 3 people now in our family plus MIL is here 1-2 days a week
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:45 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 150

I would go electric or power vent
rudolph58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:23 AM   #14
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Check pricing on a bigger model anyway. These guys are all saying more expensive for bigger, but around here, we pay more for a 40 gal than a 50 gal.