Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2010, 08:26 AM   #1

Share |

Pex Water Piping

I know this is being used in a lot of new construction buildings and houses. I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on it or has used it. I repiped my house with the stuff about a year ago. Quick and easy to use and no problems thus far (knocking on wood). Used all plastic fittings except where converting over to copper.

Has anyone had any problems with this stuff or advice for things I should pay attention to or watch out for?

Branden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
Leak Master

Pex Water Piping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branden View Post
I know this is being used in a lot of new construction buildings and houses. I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on it or has used it. I repiped my house with the stuff about a year ago. Quick and easy to use and no problems thus far (knocking on wood). Used all plastic fittings except where converting over to copper.

Has anyone had any problems with this stuff or advice for things I should pay attention to or watch out for?
In my opinion it is superior piping. With that being said, it has a few cosmetic drawback, when compared to copper. Also if not installed properly it can have issues down the road, but usually nothing significant. There is an on-going raging debate amongst plumbers when it comes to copper vs. pex, but neither side can really condemn either type of piping and it usually comes down to opinion.

O'Leaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:44 PM   #3

Question

Pex Water Piping

I too have been wondering the same thing. Last year I helped my brother redo his entire house in pex with brass fittings. So far he's had no problems. I'm not starting to redo some of my own plumbing and am considering doing pex. I've already run a hose line and it's been working without problems or leaking.

I've read all the horror stories where people have high levels of calcium in their water and Dezincification occurs and eats away the zinc in the brass fittings from the inside out and they eventually clog and fail.

What are people's thoughts on pex and the brass fittings these days? I have a stainless steel cinch clamp tool so i'll probably plan to use those fittings.
HandyFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:57 AM   #4
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Pex Water Piping

Keep the rats out of your house and it'll be fine.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:35 AM   #5

Pex Water Piping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Keep the rats out of your house and it'll be fine.
Trying to figure out if this is a "Yes, it will be fine since most people don't have rats". OR, "No, don't use it since even rats can ruin it"

???
HandyFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:27 AM   #6
Doing it myself

Pex Water Piping

Unless you have a rat-slab, rats can and will eventually get in there if they want to. Don't give them a reason to. Get a couple of cats.

Don't use Decon. Never ever use decon. Decon = kidney failure = thirst to death = chewed water lines

That being said, I used pex in my house and it's just fine.

Keeping the rats out.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:18 AM   #7
Civil Engineer

Pex Water Piping

I redid my house with Wirsbo PEX some 6 years ago. About a year after my installation, I noticed that Wirsbo had come out with a line of plastic (polysulfone) fittings in addition to the brass fittings. So I asked my plumbing supply house, where I get my Wirsbo tubing and fittings, what their opinion of the plastic was.

They told me that the plastic was a better choice than brass in acidic water conditions (I have relatively acidic well water) because the brass corrodes over time in acidic conditions. It may also corrode under alkaline conditions, I don't know, but I have noticed that a couple of brass fittings I have removed in the last six years have shown signs of internal corrosion. None of the plastic fittings has had any problem.

A couple of words of advice, based on hard experience. Sooner or later you are going to have to either add on, replace, or modify your plumbing. Leave enough straight pipe available between fitting so you can easily add a T if needed. I have one section of pipe where I did not do this, and it is a royal PITA to get in and modify the line.

Also, if you ever remove a fitting, do not plan to reuse it, sooner or later it is going to leak. Best to plan on replacing a full section of pipe, less headache in the long run.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:58 PM   #8

Pex Water Piping

First mistake was using Plastic fittings. Second thing you did RIGHT, was you used pex. should have went with brass fittings.
MR. Mr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:33 PM   #9
Doing it myself

Pex Water Piping

What's wrong with plastic fittings again?
Old 05-21-2010, 10:23 PM   #10
Military Mom of 4

Pex Water Piping

I used PEX and loved it for a while - but I don't like it anymore. The coiling action makes in a pain in my ass. I'd rather just use CPVC with CPVC fittings and be accurate with my measure/cut and be done with it.