Pex And Water Heater - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2010, 02:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

pex and water heater

Hi, I'm going to start replacing some of my old galvi with pex lines. I know that I need at least 18" of a heat buffer zone with pex. Would the standard water heater flex steel conectors be OK with the press fit Shark Bite between the two?

Also I assume the pex needs to be 3/4", right?

Thanks

Advertisement

handifoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

pex and water heater

Which PEX are you using? if you get the A-grade PEX you don't need to do that you can just tie directly into the water heater. You can get it from fergusson or gray hodges or another equivelant plumbing supplier. It uses expansion rings instead of crimp rings and is better made. And yes you want to use 3/4" to the heater.

Also a quick note you should use manifolds for each rooms, a 3 port manifold for the cold and a 2 port for a normal bathroom. The less connections the better.

Advertisement

immeraufdemhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 602

pex and water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by handifoot View Post
Would the standard water heater flex steel conectors be OK with the press fit Shark Bite between the two?
I personally will not use Shark Bite fittings in my pex installaion. I'ver read that those fittings have rubber O-rings and we all know that rubber deteriorates over time. And especially not on hot water lines where there will be daily expansion and contraction caused by extreme temperature differences due to hot water in the pipes cooling off. My apprehension may be unfounded but FWIW, that's what I've decided for my installation.

Other's milage will vary,
HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

pex and water heater

my experiance has been that you should not use any sharkbites that close to a water heater. I've had them fail a couple of months after installation because of that. just get 2 brass female adapters, put them on the water heat and connect like normal
immeraufdemhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:48 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

pex and water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by immeraufdemhund View Post
Which PEX are you using? if you get the A-grade PEX you don't need to do that you can just tie directly into the water heater. You can get it from fergusson or gray hodges or another equivelant plumbing supplier. It uses expansion rings instead of crimp rings and is better made. And yes you want to use 3/4" to the heater.

Also a quick note you should use manifolds for each rooms, a 3 port manifold for the cold and a 2 port for a normal bathroom. The less connections the better.
my code book does not care what brand you use for pex, they still want it at least 18" away from the tank. i've also seen what happens when pex is too close, and I wouldn't even think of doing it in my house
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote