PEX Vs. CPVC - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2011, 01:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

PEX vs. CPVC

We own a slab home in North Carolina built in 1988. We've been told that we have the dreaded gray piping that needs to be replaced. We have a couple of plumbers coming out within the next few days to give estimates. I believe they will have to run the new pipes through the attic and I'm concerned with the potential of freezing and noise level. Can anyone tell me the differences between the PEX pipe and the Flowguard Gold CPVC. Is one better than the other? One plumber says they only guarantee the PEX pipe for 10 years, but the CPVC for a lifetime. Thank you!

Advertisement

gdgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

PEX vs. CPVC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgolf View Post
We own a slab home in North Carolina built in 1988. We've been told that we have the dreaded gray piping that needs to be replaced. We have a couple of plumbers coming out within the next few days to give estimates. I believe they will have to run the new pipes through the attic and I'm concerned with the potential of freezing and noise level. Can anyone tell me the differences between the PEX pipe and the Flowguard Gold CPVC. Is one better than the other? One plumber says they only guarantee the PEX pipe for 10 years, but the CPVC for a lifetime. Thank you!
Lets start with the warranty... Here is the Lifetime warranty
http://www.harvel.com/piping-flo-warranty.asp
Please note they will only cover a defective part... so a stick of CPVC not any damage
Now I use Viega Pex and this is the warranty
www.viega.net/cps/rde/xbcr/en-us/PF-warranty-0907.pdf
Please notice they will cover the drywall and other damage during the warranty.

Now as far as running it through the attic you will need to check your local code... It is not allowed here. My preference is Pex with a manablock

Advertisement

Docwhitley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

PEX vs. CPVC

Thanks for the info! We'll have to check out these warranties further plus local codes. However, I would think going overhead would be OK since one plumber who came out to give a quote mentioned replumbing this way. Since I know this is probably going to be time consuming and can be quite expensive, I just want to make sure we go through a reputable plumber using the best, tried and true, piping. I just don't want to have to go through any additional leaks. We've been fortunate so far in that we've been home whenever there has been a leak.
gdgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

PEX vs. CPVC

Well here is my experience with them and things I consider when doing a job like this.

1- Code- In my area you can not run pipes in an attic because of freezing issues.
2- Which route will give the best protection for the pipe? Here if it is straight runs I will try to place a manablock in an accessible area and route the pipe through the walls. This will mean you need to repair the walls but it is better than the floor here. I find it is easier to use Pex as long as I do not have a ton of turns (Pex makes a large arc not a 90 degree turn)
3- Joints- I know you can use the connectors with the Pex but if I need to do that than I consider CPVC
4- This is the big consideration here and one that not a ton of people think of..... CALL DIFFERENT PLUMBERS AND ASK THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS
a- How many trucks do you have?
b- How many carry Pex and the tools needed to make a repair?

As a Plumber I will tell you that question will shoot me in the foot almost every time... In my area not a ton of people will use pex. Think about the call where the Plumber comes out at midnight and he does not have the needed supplies to make a repair. They all have CPVC.

Many things to consider... If you go with Pex I would tell him you want a 5 foot piece of scrap and 4 couplings with rings. I GIVE THIS TO ALL OF MY PEX CUSTOMERS and I show them how it works. Yes it may cost me a repair or two but I get a ton or referrals from it. I also tell them to buy there own tools (http://www.pexcrimper.com)with an emphasis that they are not the best quality so they still may want us out to check the repair. Nothing against the tool but I know my tool is calibrated... Those are not
Docwhitley is offline   Reply With Quote