Pex Vs. Copper, Running A New Line To Water Softener. - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2010, 07:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Pex vs. copper, running a new line to water softener.

Hi, i want to add a water softener to the house. The problem is in order to do it, i need to run about 35 feet of line to get the water to where the softener is going to be. To stub off of lines closer would mean having some cold water fixtures unsoftened. Its a 3/4 Cu main, pressure is fine all throughout house. I want to stub pex off and want some reassurance that this is the right thing to do. My question was about the home run, and "typical" systems what does that mean, and will it effect what i want to do? What i want to do is stub off of the 3/4 Cu with 3/4 pex, then run it the 35 feet. I have to make one 90,,,,but i have plenty of room to curve the pex and not use a fitting if that is the best thing to do (crawlspace is where all this line is being run.) At that point i want to bring it up and put valves on so that i can shut off the softener if i need/want to. The inlet and outlet valves on the softener are 1". So is it right to do it this way? I have attached a picture of what i want to do. Any corrections need to be made? will the 3/4" pex be enough to keep pressure up? is adding a total of roughly 70 feet going to be too much? Thanks for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Pex vs. copper, running a new line to water softener.-pex-setup.jpg  

Advertisement

ams4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

You should also be aware that the inside diameter of 3/4" pex is significantly smaller that 3/4" copper and this is not generally a good idea on a main water supply line. An additional problem is that the adaptor fittings going from the copper to the pex will further restict the flow because the inside diameter is even less than the pex. If you really need to avoid copper you should consider 3/4 PVC if the code allows it or 1" CPVC because 3/4 CPVC is also smaller inside diameter that 3/4 copper.

You should of course check your local codes and insure that the work you do complies with them.

Advertisement

Bob999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Hi Bob,
Welcome aboard. Glad to see you here.
Andy CWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:39 PM   #4
Licensed Master Plumber

Hey there Bob, glad you made it.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:18 AM   #5
Water quality'n pump guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ams4life View Post
Hi, i want to add a water softener to the house. The problem is in order to do it, i need to run about 35 feet of line to get the water to where the softener is going to be.

It's a 3/4 Cu main, pressure is fine all throughout house. I want to stub pex off and want some reassurance that this is the right thing to do.
IMO you should use one continuous piece of 1" PEX instead of 10' or 20' pieces of CPVC or PVC.

But I wouldn't suggest a 3 valve manual bypass, use the by pass that you can buy with the softener. That type by pass is meant to be left on the plumbing if you need to remove the control valve and resin tank from the plumbing and depending on the brand of softener or control valve, the by pass will have individual ball valves.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Slusser For This Useful Post:
ams4life (03-05-2010)
Old 03-05-2010, 06:09 AM   #6
Licensed Master Plumber

Though 3/4 pex does have a smaller I.D. than copper the fact that you will use far less fittings makes up for any loss that may occur in that particular run. However, I would use Uponor pex and fittings as their fittings are less restrictive than others on the market.
ams4life (03-05-2010)
Old 03-05-2010, 05:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
IMO you should use one continuous piece of 1" PEX instead of 10' or 20' pieces of CPVC or PVC.

But I wouldn't suggest a 3 valve manual bypass, use the by pass that you can buy with the softener. That type by pass is meant to be left on the plumbing if you need to remove the control valve and resin tank from the plumbing and depending on the brand of softener or control valve, the by pass will have individual ball valves.
Here's the dilemma, i have access to the tool for 3/4 pex, but not 1". If i had to buy a 1" crimper im thinking that it would not be cost effective. However, if it is a better solution than copper, i might be willin to spend more. I know in the future i will have to replace some more copper in the house (the old section must have old copper, the hot water line to the shower is definantly having flow problems) so when that gets remodeled, i would probly want to switch it over to pexas well. I know that the inside diameter is smaller than Cu, that's why i was worried about running it. However, on a previous post about CU vs pex, one guy ran some numbers and said it came out that pex did not lose any PSI even though it was a smaller diameter because its inside is smoother, and also that its value stays constant, where as copper does not, its weakens as is gets buildup. I wish i could find that post, but i just spent a 1/2 hour looking and couldnt find it. That application was far different than mine though. Nobody seems to be worried about adding 75 feet to the mainline.....should i not be concerned about that? There is one spot i could put it to save alot of feet, but i really dont want to put it there. (in a closet by living room) The softener does have a bypass, i was just putting the manual in for a just in case circumstance....will i lose pressure by doing that? i need shutoffs in case i ever needed to remove it, so i figured as long as i needed those, i might as well add a bypass. i should only need 3 or 4 90's one to get past a foundation wall, one to go up into the room, and one to be able to connect to the horizontal connection. So is 3/4 copper the answer or will this pex be ok? bob didnt like pex on the main line....anyone else have any issues with it? Thanks again for all the advice.

Last edited by ams4life; 03-05-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:15 PM   #8
Licensed Master Plumber

Pex will be fine and skip the bypass. If you need to bypass you can use the bypass valve in the head.
ams4life (03-05-2010)
Old 03-05-2010, 05:38 PM   #9

Thanks a ton....even the 3/4 Pex will be ok? i guess i can just try, if the pressure drops, then i will just have to start over.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:47 PM   #10

Just to clarify my post--I was not saying there is a problem using pex in a main line. Rather I was pointing out that using 3/4" pex in the main line would give you reduced inside diameter of the pipe and raise the possibility of that you will have reduced pressure at higher flow.

You mention that copper will get build up inside the pipe over time and I am assuming that is one of the reasons you are considering using pex. With the installation of a softener that build would not be expected to occur--the inside of copper pipe carrying soft water will remain clean and without buildup.

Advertisement

Bob999 is offline   Reply With Quote