Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2009, 09:15 PM   #1

Share |

PEX tubing

Can this stuff be used underground or is is better to just go with copper?

Also, my main inlet line (3/4) copper comes up to the house from the street and before it enters through the outside wall, it reduces to 1/2 throughout. Is this common or should I run 3/4 down the length of the house and then branch off with 1/2? I don't seem to have any pressure issues, but it is only three of us in the house. I am asking this because I'm trying to redo my backyard and it's calling for more line to be ran back there. The last thing I want to do is short change any of my spigots in the back.

Any advice would be much appreciated

James (San DiegO)

SanDiego808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:39 AM   #2

PEX tubing

Pex is great for underground. You do have to make burial rated connections though.

Pressure won't be affected by pipe size, pressure is constant. Volume of water will be affected by pipe size. 3/4" is always better when you can run it as a "main line", then branch off in 1/2" in all individual directions as needed.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:04 AM   #3

PEX tubing

It looks as though this PEX stuff is used a lot in colder regions. Is that due to pipe expansion and contraction?

I like the manifold idea to where you can shut off an individual section rather than the entire system.

Any recommendations for type of PEX? I live in San Diego so our climate is pretty moderate. A majority of the lines would be in our crawlspace with some going underground.
SanDiego808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:35 AM   #4
Household Handyman

PEX tubing

SanDiego88-FYI--There is a lot of PEX used here in S. Ga. within the last three years, since local municipalities approved it. The only real problem that I have heard of from plumbers, and homebuilders, is that in our area we have a lot of red clay soil wich is actually like very small rocks. Once the PEX is buried, aroud here two foot is normal, it seems there is some groung shifting within 18 months which will create a leak. Pools of water strangely popping up in front yards, only to find a small hole in the PEX supply line from the water meter or well, to the home. Easy fix? Yes, but another potential small hole could show up at any time. The fix? As of now a lot of plumbers are using the plain old pipe insulation, the dark grey type that is pre-slit and slides over the PEX before covering it up. Anything to prevent the red clay soil from rubbing it. Just a thought to share, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote