Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South TX outside San Antonio
Posts: 152
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Pex transition underground


I need to make my PEX transition to PVC outside my building. Common sense told me that the steel crimp rings would not be acceptable underground. After internet searching I found that to be true. The only fitting I have available locally is a WATTS P615 female adapter:



I cannot find any spec that says this is acceptable. If I need to get a Sharkbite fitting, I'll have to drive 50 miles to the closest plumbing store. I don't remember if Lowes had Sharkbites or not.

Attached are the rings I've been using (Apollo) and also a picture of my proposed hookup outside my slab. This is a garage with a toilet and lav only. I do have to have this inspected for approval after I'm done. I'm hoping I don't have to drive 100 miles round trip for a $5 part
Attached Thumbnails
Pex transition underground-pex-connection-002.jpg   Pex transition underground-pex-connection-001.jpg   Pex transition underground-pex-connection-003.jpg  

n175h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 27,518
Rewards Points: 4,152
Default

Pex transition underground


Go back and add your location.
No way would they let me install water pipes that shallow.
I also would not have used those PVC shutoffs. They get harder and harder to shut off as they get older.
Any shut off needs to be in a box not just buryed under ground.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=7

I believe you'll find those rings are not steel, there brass with a black plating on them. hit one with a file and see.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South TX outside San Antonio
Posts: 152
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Pex transition underground


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Go back and add your location.
No way would they let me install water pipes that shallow.
I also would not have used those PVC shutoffs. They get harder and harder to shut off as they get older.
Any shut off needs to be in a box not just buryed under ground.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=7

I believe you'll find those rings are not steel, there brass with a black plating on them. hit one with a file and see.

I thought about that when I looked at the picture. I'm in S TX. No freezes down here. Shallow burial is ok.

Also, I will get a box. Just haven't bought it yet.

If they are brass are they acceptable underground in this application? I can't determine from their specs if they can or can't be used.

Last edited by n175h; 02-23-2013 at 07:33 PM.
n175h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 27,518
Rewards Points: 4,152
Default

Pex transition underground


I do all the time in this area and it freezes here.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
Plumber/Contractor
 
TheEplumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 7,160
Rewards Points: 2,480
Default

Pex transition underground


Quote:
Originally Posted by n175h View Post
I thought about that when I looked at the picture. I'm in S TX. No freezes down here. Shallow burial is ok.

Also, I will get a box. Just haven't bought it yet.

If they are brass are they acceptable underground in this application? I can't determine from their specs if they can or can't be used.
Call your inspector Monday. It doesn't matter what the specs says. It's his/her OK that counts
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:15 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South TX outside San Antonio
Posts: 152
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Pex transition underground


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Call your inspector Monday. It doesn't matter what the specs says. It's his/her OK that counts
Won't work. He will say, "if you don't know, call a plumber". Makes it tough for a weekend warrior like me.

n175h is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Total Degrees of Bend in Underground PVC Conduit tedallen Electrical 12 03-29-2012 09:02 PM
underground electical lines BlueBSH Electrical 11 02-10-2012 04:52 AM
Driveway culvert to underground pipe zrooster99 Landscaping & Lawn Care 4 06-25-2011 01:42 PM
Tiling entryway - proper transition for this scenario? Scott99999 Flooring 5 12-22-2009 01:12 AM
Engineered Hardwood: Inlaid transition? SteveSmith98 Flooring 6 03-24-2009 12:21 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.