Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #1

Share |

Which pex system?

I have rental properties, and I will have to be doing various miscellaneous pipe replacement jobs. I would like to use Pex whenever possible. I have heard there are two different systems of joining Pex that uses a different tool. Which method do you all recommend and why? What do I ask for at the home center?

Thank you in advance to all who help.

Cossack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Which pex system?

You heard wrong. There are more than two.

Using the search function will bring up about 300 topics asking this exact same question.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #3

Which pex system?

I am not so sure that you heard wrong. The "pex" style of pipe/fittings uses a crimp ring at each joint. The Wirbso/uponor system uses a tool that expands the tube with a reinforcing ring, then you insert the fitting and the tubing shrinks back down and holds on. I have a wirsbo tool, just because I had to buy one for a job. If I had to do again, I might go with pex, because the fittings are much easier to find. Wirsbo fittings are not sold in home depot/lowes around here.
broox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
Master Plumber

Which pex system?

Google pex pipe class action lawsuits, tons of them already. Why would you use this on your own property? I just presented a proposal for 4 new custom homes I gave the builder owner 2 options one quote with copper the other with pex. he went with the more expensive copper, I now offer the two but recommend that they do the research on the materials then make the choice, after that itís out of my hands whatever happens in the future if they go with the cheaper Pex. which I do not recommend .

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Javiles For This Useful Post:
TheEplumber (05-19-2012)
Old 05-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #5

Which pex system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cossack View Post
I have rental properties, and I will have to be doing various miscellaneous pipe replacement jobs. I would like to use Pex whenever possible. I have heard there are two different systems of joining Pex that uses a different tool. Which method do you all recommend and why? What do I ask for at the home center?
Thank you in advance to all who help.
There are 3 PEX joining systems. Crimped copper rings, cinched stainless steel rings, and the Wirsbo/Uponor expansion system.

In the crimped or cinch systems, the fitting is inserted into the PEX tubing and then the rings are tightened around the PEX tubing. Since 3/4" pex tubing has an inside diameter of about 5/8" and since the fittings are inserted into the tubing, the ID of the fittings will be about 1/2". Compare that to 3/4" copper pipe systems that have an ID of 3/4" all the way through the system. Also, it's very easy to buy tubing, rings and fittings all from different manufacturers, which in my opinion is not a good thing when using PEX (but this is just my opinion and other's mileage will vary on this).

In the Wirsbo/Uponor expansion system, the PEX tubing and PEX ring are expanded and then the fitting is inserted. The tubing and ring contract to make a water tight seal. The ID of this type of fitting is about the same as the ID of the tubing so there will be a clear 5/8" path for the water. This results in better flow with less turbulence. --- The expansion tool for the Wirsbo/Uponor system is appreciably more expensive than the crimp or cinch tools. The cheapest new expansion tool that I could find was about $189 at pexsupply.com. Personally, I never let cost of good tools be a deterrent. But if tool cost is a consideration, you could sell the expansion tool "very easily" on ebay when your jobs are done. --- The tubing, rings and fittings are all made by Uponor so this system uses everything from the same manufacturer, which I think is a good thing.

EDIT: You won't find the Uponor PEX system at home centers. You will have to buy it from a plumbing store or find a local distributor. Or you could buy everything online from pexsupply.com like I did.

All that said, the crimp and cinch systems are used very successfully by a huge number of people. So take the above as just one person's opinion.

HRG

Last edited by Homerepairguy; 05-19-2012 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Added the EDIT.
Homerepairguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
Doing it myself

Which pex system?

There are even more than that.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #7

Which pex system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
You're right Alan. I didn't think to mention the compression type fittings like Sharkbite, Gatorbite, etc. They are so expensive per fitting though.

Thanks,
HRG
Old 05-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #8

Which pex system?

I want to be able to simply go to any Home Depot or Lowes and pick up fittings for insatalling pex. Which tool should I get for this purpose? Thank you in advance.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
Doing it myself

Which pex system?

Quote:
I want to be able to simply go to any Home Depot or Lowes and pick up fittings for insatalling pex. Which tool should I get for this purpose? Thank you in advance.
Now that's a little different than your original question. As far as i know they only carry the crimp style at the home stores, so i think you're stuck with those.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #10

Which pex system?

Quote:
Be forewarned that there's a LOT more to installing PEX than "simply" picking up fittings from a big box store and installing them. Recommend doing some serious googling on PEX installation before plunging in.

HRG
Old 05-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #11

Which pex system?

Ok, I just googled ďPEX installation" and I found only specific directions on pulling lines and crimping them. If you know of any controversy please enlighten me. In order to make money in landlording I have to work fast and cheap to get tenants inside the house so my properties pay. Thank you for the advice.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #12

Which pex system?

I found this on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVo_0...eature=related It looks like the "clamp method" is best for DIYers. What do you all think?
Old 05-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #13

Which pex system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Would you please list them.
broox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #14

Which pex system?

I have never used PEX, so I would appreciate someone who has to give their advice. For my rentals I am thinking of using the crimp or clamp method. What have been your experiences?
Old 05-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #15

Which pex system?

do not forget the press style which is my favorite to use
http://www.viega.net/xchg/en-us/hs.xsl/7546.htm

jaydevries is online now   Reply With Quote