Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-22-2011, 07:35 AM   #1

Share |

Pex Re-Plumb

I was about to DIY the plumbing in my house but decided to give the work to a licenced plumber. Job consists of removing gray poly.

I asked about which pex would be used. Was told either or both Viega and Zurn. Also, both are made from the same warehouse (?) and neither are labeled so it would be difficult to tell the difference between the two.

Are Zurn and Viega the same pex? My research says No.

Are neither marked to idenify the manufacturer?

I don't understand why pex pipe and fittings are without a manufacturer's identification. How would you file a warranry claim if the pipe or fittings are not marked?

Earnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:53 AM   #2

Pex Re-Plumb

I've never seen unmarked Pex, I've bought it in 10' sections, 100 ft. rolls and three differant colors and serveral differant brands, but all were marked.
I'm sure some of the real plumbers will be along to to add there valubale info.
What he may have meant when he said "warehouse" is the place he buys the tubing, not the same factory.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:09 AM   #3

Pex Re-Plumb

Thanks for the reply Joe. I suspected there had to be some type of identificating marks on the pipe.

The answers to my questions have me concerned with what I may end up with. Or just what is being installed if it's not marked with manufacturer's identification.

It's one thing to say the marking are sometimes hard to read, but another to say there are No markings.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:33 AM   #4

Pex Re-Plumb

Maybe your plumber needs glasses. All the pex I've ever use is clearly marked with manufacturer, use (water, hydronic heating), etc...
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VIPlumber For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (12-22-2011)
Old 12-22-2011, 01:37 PM   #5

Pex Re-Plumb

Thanks for the replies.

The work requires a permit so I'm not concerned about the installation. It's "what" I get that concerns me. It's costing me to replace the gray poly. I don't want to do this again.

I believe it would be best for me to look for another plumber.

Last edited by Earnie; 12-26-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:53 PM   #6

Pex Re-Plumb

agree with all above all pex we ever used is marked by manufacturer....
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #7

Pex Re-Plumb

Contacted a different plumber today. Was not impressed. He was referred to me by the local plumbing supply company.

I asked what brand of pex he used. Reply was, whatever the plumbing supply company sells. He did not keep up to date on those such things.

So, is DIY pex really that difficult? I really do not have any problems doing the work myself. I would need two sizes, 3/4 and 1/2.

I am concerned about the crimp. Is renting crimpers ( if the local rental company stocks them ) an option? Or is it best to purchase the two sizes I need?

I can purchase Viega pex, copper crimp rings and brass fittings locally. Any known issues with Viega products?

I may give another plumber a call before I decide to DI myself.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:04 PM   #8
Civil Engineer

Pex Re-Plumb

I don't believe you mentioned your location. In many locations, you are not allowed to pull a plumbing permit (my home state of MA only allows licensed plumbers to perform plumbing work). If so, you are operating outside of permit rules, which may be trouble in terms of insurance, local home valuation, and legal issues. But that has little to do with your question.

PEX is relatively easy to work with. There are numerous posts on this forum discussing different fitting techniques, there are proponents of each type. Personally I use Wirsbo fittings, which requires an expander tool sold only by Wirsbo, but there are plenty of people on here who have used copper crimp rings, and there are a few sharkbite users. I have used a couple of sharkbites when I wanted a disconnect, works pretty well for that.

Rather than rehash all the old comments, which you may wish to search, let me just note that the tubing itself is ASTM standardized, and is manufactured by three different processes (you can look them up, there are proponents for each method). The fittings are proprietary, so you need the tool that goes with the fitting system, unless you use sharkbites that do not require a tool, but are very pricy.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote