PEX Press Tool? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2009, 06:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 506

PEX Press tool?

Hi;
I am considering doing some work in my home using PEX tubing instead of copper.
I need to consider the cost of the tools I need for PEX, since I already have all the "tools" I need for copper, and am not planning to do any major renovations, with either PEX or copper.

If I use the Standard Crimp Ring system, is the crimp ring tool the only one, besides the cutter, that I will need?
I do understand that I may need crimp tools for more than one size, unless the specific tool I purchase has two or more dies. I have looked at some on one web site, and it does appear that, like coaxial connector crimp tools, they usually have two different crimp "dies".

I see another tool referred to as a "Press" tool. Am I correct in thinking that the press type fitting is a different animal that I will not be using if I use the Standard Crimp Ring system?

Thanks for your comments/suggestions

FW

Advertisement

Last edited by KE2KB; 05-08-2009 at 06:11 PM.
KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:23 PM   #2
D-I-Yer

Rewards Points: 10

PEX Press tool?

I was able to rent the proper crimp ring tool at the Home Depot. It was about $12 for 4 hours and can get a lot of fittings crimped if you do some preplanning. By using the "pro" rings, the ones with the collar on them, they stay in place easier making crimping go faster. I did the entire plumbing job "loose", then rented the crimper and went to town. The actual crimping took about 30 minutes.

I did buy a go/nogo gauge off ebay for $4 to make sur, then did my pressure test and am in use now.

Advertisement

Douger_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:37 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 506

PEX Press tool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douger_F View Post
I was able to rent the proper crimp ring tool at the Home Depot. It was about $12 for 4 hours and can get a lot of fittings crimped if you do some preplanning. By using the "pro" rings, the ones with the collar on them, they stay in place easier making crimping go faster. I did the entire plumbing job "loose", then rented the crimper and went to town. The actual crimping took about 30 minutes.

I did buy a go/nogo gauge off ebay for $4 to make sur, then did my pressure test and am in use now.
Thanks for that info. I would probably make out pretty well with renting, since I don't have a lot of work to do.
I'll have to remember to buy the "go- no go" gauge. It could be a real time saver.
I may also check Ebay for a crimping tool.

FW

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:24 PM   #4
D-I-Yer

PEX Press tool?

I ended up buying the 1/2 in PEX tool for doing a renovation, nearly a complete re-plumbing on the pressure side. On eBay, the pex tool was about $75 with shipping. There are PEX tools that fit multiple sizes, but they wanted $120+ at the time, and it was not that important to me.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:35 AM   #5
D-I-Yer

PEX Press tool?

take a look here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/PEXcaliber-Multi...3A1%7C294%3A50

or here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PEX-Crimp-Tool-K...3A1%7C294%3A50
Old 05-12-2009, 11:43 AM   #6

PEX Press tool?

I just got one on ebay with a cutter for $33 shipped ( with a cutter) it is high quality and works great. If you near Wayne, NJ your welcome to borrow mine. But for $30 and change, might as well buy your own

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...lenotsupported

Advertisement

skizsam is offline   Reply With Quote