Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
Household Handyman

Share |

"PEX" manifold valves

So I'm working on putting in a new bath vanity/top/faucets, and all the goodies for a customer. I look under the vanity and there are one blue and one red "PEX" lines coming out of the wall for the water supply lines. NO shut off valves. I do find the "PEX" (generic) water manifold (NO, did not write the name down) in the utility room and is has all these cute little plastic valves (ball valves ?) built onto it. There is a "key" to use to turn the valves "OFF' or "ON". But- more than half of the little stems sticking out of these valves for the key to fit onto, are broken off. Rather than break anymore, I just shut the main off at the meter out front. This is the first all plastic manifold I have seen. It does not look as if it would be easy to replace any of the valves in this manifold. Is this a common problem with these plastic type manifolds? Thanks, David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:24 PM   #2

"PEX" manifold valves

does it look like this?
http://www.pexsupply.com/Viega-MXBD1...cold-5380000-p

Last edited by acerunner; 10-28-2010 at 10:28 PM.
acerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
Household Handyman

"PEX" manifold valves

Oh so very similar. This one is a "Manablock" unit. It is fed with a 3/4" supply, has some 1/2" branches and some 3/8" branches. As I stated, more than half of these have the little "gizmo's" broken off where the key fits onto them. I finished the job with the valve at the meter turned off. AND: there was NO cut-off valve on the homeowner's side of the meter, just the City side. Just another learning curve for me. Thanks for the info "acerunner". David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:37 PM   #4

"PEX" manifold valves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
So I'm working on putting in a new bath vanity/top/faucets, and all the goodies for a customer. I look under the vanity and there are one blue and one red "PEX" lines coming out of the wall for the water supply lines. NO shut off valves. I do find the "PEX" (generic) water manifold (NO, did not write the name down) in the utility room and is has all these cute little plastic valves (ball valves ?) built onto it. There is a "key" to use to turn the valves "OFF' or "ON". But- more than half of the little stems sticking out of these valves for the key to fit onto, are broken off. Rather than break anymore, I just shut the main off at the meter out front. This is the first all plastic manifold I have seen. It does not look as if it would be easy to replace any of the valves in this manifold. Is this a common problem with these plastic type manifolds? Thanks, David
I visited a friend who moved into a new house about 5 years ago that has the plastic manifold like you described except his has 5/8" and 1/2" outlets. Each outlet on the manifold has the plastic valves like you described. There are no valves at the fixtures either like your situation.

He said that the valves would not work properly and the contractor replaced the entire manifold. I don't know how long it was after he moved in. I've come to the conclusion that the plastic manifold with plastic valves will not be reliable in the long haul. And with no valves at the fixtures, if the manifold valves don't work, the only way to work on anything in the system is to turn off the main valve that shuts water off to the whole house. It would be too risky to try to force any valve and break it and have water flood the location.

I will only install brass ball valves in any PEX installation after his and your experiences. Maybe two unlucky installations but I won't take the chance on my home.
Homerepairguy is online now   Reply With Quote