Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2008, 01:34 PM   #1
AbeBarker

Share |

Pex Manifold.

I'm putting a second full bathroom on the second floor of my house. My question is do I need a manifold or can I just splice my pex into my copper lines in the basement and run them to my three fixtures on the second floor? I have a manifold, but the instructions say to install the manifold close to the hot water heater which is in the basement.

Thank You

AbeBarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:28 PM   #2

Pex Manifold.

I don't really have any idea, but why would they say that it needs to be near the water heater? For ease of shutoff? The water will have to move the same distance from the heater to your bathroom as it would if the manifold was 6' or 600' from the heater.

Maybe someone can enlighten the clueless like me.

perpetual98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:39 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Marlin

Pex Manifold.

Their is no reason you can't splice your pex lines off the trunk lines in the basement so long as everything is properly sized.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:54 PM   #4
AbeBarker

Pex Manifold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
Their is no reason you can't splice your pex lines off the trunk lines in the basement so long as everything is properly sized.

That being said... Being that my copper trunk line is 1/2 inch. I should run 1/2 inch pex up to the second floor as opposed to 3/4 inch pex?
Old 01-14-2008, 04:00 PM   #5
Custom Cabinet Maker

Pex Manifold.

If your feed is 1/2 than anything larger hooked up to it will be a waste since it cant be fed properly.
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:05 PM   #6

Pex Manifold.

The conversion from copper to PEX isn't 1:1, is it? I thought that I read it was a size different, but I don't remember which way.
perpetual98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:15 PM   #7

Pex Manifold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeBarker View Post
That being said... Being that my copper trunk line is 1/2 inch. I should run 1/2 inch pex up to the second floor as opposed to 3/4 inch pex?
You probably can't tap off those lines for your new bathroom.
A half inch line can serve a maximum of two fixtures. A bathroom needs a 1/2in hot line (shower and sink) and a 3/4 cold line (shower, sink, toilet). Most people run both in 3/4 though. To do it properly you are going to have to find a 3/4 line to tap off of then bring 3/4 up to your second bathroom.
If you want to do it improperly and still use those half inch lines then use half inch pex, you won't gain anything by using 3/4. This won't pass any inspections and may or may not give you a problem when you go to sell your house. You will also get pressure fluxuations when someone else uses a fixture on that line.

Your house should have 3/4 minimum coming in from the street. Does this reduce immediately to 1/2in or does it run in 3/4 then tee off for the kitchen, bathroom, hose bibs, etc. If it's run entirely in half inch I'd recommend cutting out the half inch trunk lines and re-piping it with 3/4 branching off with half inch or 3/4 where necessary. If part of it is run in 3/4 I would either tap in where it is 3/4 and run your lines from there, or up-size those half inch lines you want to tap off now for a cleaner install. You can run the new pipe in PEX, and adapt to the old copper as needed.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:17 PM   #8

Pex Manifold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual98 View Post
The conversion from copper to PEX isn't 1:1, is it? I thought that I read it was a size different, but I don't remember which way.
Pex has a smaller ID then copper. The difference is really negligible though.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:55 PM   #9
AbeBarker

Pex Manifold.

I have 1/2 inch copper coming directly out of the water meter. It looks like I will need to make two 3/4 inch trunklines in the basement.

Thanks for your advice.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:29 PM   #10

Pex Manifold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeBarker View Post
I have 1/2 inch copper coming directly out of the water meter. It looks like I will need to make two 3/4 inch trunklines in the basement.

Thanks for your advice.
I've never seen 1/2in coming out of the meter. Any idea how old it is? What size is the service coming into your house? Is it bushed down at the meter or is the meter actually 1/2in?
Making two 3/4 trunk lines won't do you any good if they're being fed by 1/2in. Up sizing pipe is useless unless the entire run is done. I'd figure out why you have half inch pipe and how to get the whole thing up to 3/4 before you start doing anything. Any chance of getting a picture of the meter setup?
Old 01-15-2008, 06:24 AM   #11
AbeBarker

Pex Manifold.

There is 3/4 inch coming to the meter, then 1/2 inch coming out of the meter. The house was built in 1935, and there are a lot of funky things going on with the whole house. I am going to get my plumber to do the job.

Thanks for all your help