Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-29-2011, 08:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

PEX, kinks and no go questions...

I'm running my new lines for my 1/2 bath and I have a few questions.

1- I bought 10ft lengths of PEX, and was bending it to encourage it to make the run I need, and I briefly kinked it. Do I have to chuck this piece out, or is it strong enough to withstand that kind of abuse without damaging the line?

2- I have connected the PEX using crimps to a poly alloy tee and a poly alloy elbow. Each crimp seems to look exactly like the example my plumber left me, and seems to fit the "go" slot of the crimp checker from most any angle, but if I run the crimp checker around the crimp, there is a single "sweet spot" where it will sink all the way into the "no go" area. I almost didn't even realize it because the first two checks were "go" but I checked so obsessively I found that there is a way to apply the crimp checker and get a "no go." Am I over obsessive? (Gotta say, I worry lots about plumbing, so I could totally be over obsessing )

3- The best way to connect PEX to the valve? Does one simply throw the escusheon (sp?) on there and a crimp and crimp to the valve? How does one get it to sit most successfully so that the valve isn't flimsing out of the wall? (Sorry, I don't speak plumbing, formally)

OurHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 548

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurHouse View Post
1- I bought 10ft lengths of PEX, and was bending it to encourage it to make the run I need, and I briefly kinked it. Do I have to chuck this piece out, or is it strong enough to withstand that kind of abuse without damaging the line?
Don't know about using PEX that was kinked but there are bend supports which allow tight bends without kinking. I used them and they work well. Here's a link to some:

http://www.pexsupply.com/PEX-Bend-Supports-719000

HRG

Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:57 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,124

If you need to make a bend that is so tight it will kink the PEX, you probably should be using a 90 degree or 45 degree fitting. As for ten foot lengths, I bought a 100 foot roll, less expensive, and fewer joints required.

I have never used the crimp system, I use the Wirsbo expander system. I am queasy about crimp systems, there seems to be little room for error, whereas the expander system is pretty well bulletproof.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:32 PM   #4

I don't have access to the expander system My plumber loaned me the crimp system. Hopefully someone comes along who can weigh in on that, as well as the briefly kinked section issue. It was accidental, and is now sitting in there beautifully, unless someone says I really have to re-run it because it was once kinked.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:47 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

in regards to using bent pex, read this link
http://plomberie.per.free.fr/Documen...20Handbook.pdf
fixrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:52 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

in regards to your question on connection, it should be fine. When you crimp using a crimp ring it has to change it's shape from a circle to a slight elliptical shape.
fixrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:38 PM   #7

Thanks! I appreciate the info. I'll re-run that one section, and I'll stop sweating the crimps. I think I'm getting the hang of this
Old 07-30-2011, 02:57 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 548

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixrite View Post
in regards to using bent pex, read this link
http://plomberie.per.free.fr/Documen...20Handbook.pdf
Very excellent link fixrite. Thanks for posting it.
HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:19 AM   #9

Still moving right along. Snails pace. I gotta find my groove. I don't know when I lost confidence in all this jazz, but I really am not feeling the stride lately That "go"/"no go" thing is still wigging me out, because most of the connections I have made are good by some angles and bad at another... so I suppose the ultimate test is pressurizing the lines, right? If they survive and don't leak after a week or two, I'm good to close up the walls, right? Tomorrow is solder and connect day... Eeeek. This is our first major project since we closed, so I'm hoping the cold feet won't last forever...