Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WV
Posts: 2,979
Rewards Points: 2,138
Default

Pex and Hose Clamps


Okay, I know it's probably not to code, but my question relates to an RV so code isn't an issue.

I need to replace a valve on my water heater bypass. Rather than spending the money for a tool I'd only use once (and probably don't have the room to use), would there be a problem if I just use hose clamps? RVs are high maintenance anyway, so if I have to periodically check and retighten the clamps, that's not a problem. Or is there a pex crimp tool for confined spaces??

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
Roofmaster
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,668
Rewards Points: 2,094
Default

Pex and Hose Clamps


Use a shark bite coupling.

__________________
" A lot of men build things, and a lot of things fall down "

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
Master General ReEngineer
 
Bondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chaumont River, Ny.
Posts: 3,727
Rewards Points: 2,088
Default

Pex and Hose Clamps


Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Okay, I know it's probably not to code, but my question relates to an RV so code isn't an issue.

I need to replace a valve on my water heater bypass. Rather than spending the money for a tool I'd only use once (and probably don't have the room to use), would there be a problem if I just use hose clamps? RVs are high maintenance anyway, so if I have to periodically check and retighten the clamps, that's not a problem. Or is there a pex crimp tool for confined spaces??
Nope,... Hose clamps will Not seal a pex joint, no how, No way...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
A "Handy Husband"
 
rjniles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Carolina Low Country
Posts: 4,173
Rewards Points: 2,256
Default

Pex and Hose Clamps


Home depot sells a PEX pocket crimp tool that works with a pair of vise grips. About $25 a d is great for the cramped spaces in a RV.
__________________
Location:
Coastal South Carolina
rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WV
Posts: 2,979
Rewards Points: 2,138
Default

Pex and Hose Clamps


Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
Home depot sells a PEX pocket crimp tool that works with a pair of vise grips. About $25 a d is great for the cramped spaces in a RV.
Great, thanks. That's probably cheaper than what Sharkbites would cost. Since the installed valves are apparently not too good, I'll probably just replace all three. A friend of mine had the same valve fail on his RV.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:59 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 54
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Pex and Hose Clamps


Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Great, thanks. That's probably cheaper than what Sharkbites would cost. Since the installed valves are apparently not too good, I'll probably just replace all three. A friend of mine had the same valve fail on his RV.
Sharkbite 1/2 inch couplings are only $6 here in Montreal, so $18 for three. A lot easier than crimping in a confined space (just did a couple of dozen crimps, and my arms still hurt).
profcolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:28 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WV
Posts: 2,979
Rewards Points: 2,138
Default

Pex and Hose Clamps


Thanks. I've heard of Sharkbites but not ever checked them out.

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.