Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2012, 12:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

pex fittings

Which DIY supplier has the low zinc fittings for pex. I'm afraid of getting the yellow brass fittings since I don't know how to tell the difference between them and red brass. Anybody? Thnx

arts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:34 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,028

pex fittings

Lowes, Home Depot, any local plumbing supply, on line.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:21 AM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,080

pex fittings

I have had trouble with a variety of brass PEX fittings, I now use entirely plastic fittings where they are available. Wirsbo makes most of their fittings in polysulfone plastic, works well, no issues with dezincification. You may want to consider a similar approach.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:37 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 508

pex fittings

i am going to have to say the opposite of holzman but i do not know what brand they were but i got a call from someone to fix another plumbers pex and it was plastic fitting and two were broken but not sure what happen so i am a little shy on using them the ones i use are bronze but they now make plastic fitting also. and are not sold at box store though
and as holzman (since he is an engeneer) can probably state what standards the have to meet and i am sure the plastic fittings meet the same ones as metal fittings

question for holzman
would the bronze fittings fall under the same issues you have seen in the brass fitting

http://www.viega.net/xchg/en-us/hs.xsl/5208.htm

Last edited by jaydevries; 02-22-2012 at 05:40 PM.
jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,180

pex fittings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
I have had trouble with a variety of brass PEX fittings, I now use entirely plastic fittings where they are available. Wirsbo makes most of their fittings in polysulfone plastic, works well, no issues with dezincification. You may want to consider a similar approach.
yes agree wirsbo plastic fittings.
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,180

pex fittings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydevries View Post
i am going to have to say the opposite of holzman but i do not know what brand they were but i got a call from someone to fix another plumbers pex and it was plastic fitting and two were broken but not sure what happen so i am a little shy on using them the ones i use are bronze but they now make plastic fitting also. and are not sold at box store though
and as holzman (since he is an engeneer) can probably state what standards the have to meet and i am sure the plastic fittings meet the same ones as metal fittings

question for holzman
would the bronze fittings fall under the same issues you have seen in the brass fitting

http://www.viega.net/xchg/en-us/hs.xsl/5208.htm
sounds like pipe was frozen and split fitting?
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #7

pex fittings

it was a remodel before drywall was hung owner just happend to turn on valves again after plumber left
The Following User Says Thank You to jaydevries For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (02-22-2012)
Old 02-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
Civil Engineer

pex fittings

Bronze is an alloy of copper and tin, with up to approximately 1/3 tin by weight. Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, with up to approximately 1/3 zinc by weight. Wikipedia claims that some bronze is made without tin, and that the difference between brass and bronze is mostly historical.

The issue in the past with brass fittings has been loss of zinc (dezincification) which can occur under acidic water conditions, and if the fittings are not properly fabricated.

Brass and bronze are both currently selling for about $3 lb as scrap, so the cost for the two materials is very close. Curiously, I have never seen bronze fittings for PEX, perhaps this is because bronze is harder to machine than brass. Since bronze does not contain zinc, it is presumably not subject to dezincification, Regardless, there have been numerous problems in the past with poorly fabricated brass fittings (see Zurn lawsuit, Wirsbo problems), so I stay away from brass now. Once burned, twice shy. As I said, I have had no issues with polysulfone fittings, but maybe they will turn out to be problematical as well, time will tell.
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
jaydevries (02-22-2012)
Old 02-22-2012, 07:38 PM   #9

pex fittings

thank you i did post a link of the brand of fittings i use so you could see them. the place i buy fitting at when i asked why they switched from brass just said bronze gets rid of the problems that brass had and i never asked what they were

and i greatly appreciate the education now i know what they are
Old 02-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #10
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 578

pex fittings

I am going to go out on a limb here but why would anyone fool with this stuff, I will not pipe in a new house or re pipe with any of this plastic stuff, I understand savings on time and materials and some claim to have a supposed life time warranty. And I know lots of you guys love it as here with most plumbers turning to this product, i remember when poly first came out everyone was ranting and raving about this new age material. 20 years later look what’s happened. I guess its hard to get an old dog to learn new tricks but I’ll stick with copper. Even pro press, in the last year I have come across at least 10 calls on leaking pro press fittings. I mean it may have its advantages but let’s face it we didn’t have pro press 10 years ago and somehow we managed to sweat in 2 / 3 / 4 / and larger pipe, dry or with some type of water in it. Over that last 35 years I have roughed in over 400 house the last one had 22 bath rooms and two kitchens, and I can say that as of today I have never had a failed sweat connection or fitting much less pipe. In a way I’ve cut my own throat I get out bid on 9 of 10 jobs I price, because most guys are coming in with this plastic piping, I bid all copper on supply from meter. Ok ready for the lashing.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:52 PM   #11

pex fittings

javiles i agree i think copper is better 60 percent of the time but like you said to compete with price have no other choice plus rental property and copper do not mix some how the dead beat tenant that took a court order to get rid of seems to make it disappear not to mention theft on a job nothing worse then coming next day to work and it is all cut out of the walls
plus it is easy to install for diyers which this site is design for
Old 02-23-2012, 09:06 AM   #12
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

pex fittings

I agree with you as well. However, I don't own a business, and if I did, I think I would have a hard time getting outbid on 9/10 jobs like you say you do.

On a related note : I love how when you try to use a 3/4" pex bend support it kinks the pex 5 minutes after installing it.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 10

pex fittings

The SharkBite Barb fittings for PEX are made from DZR brass. And if you really, really want, they also make polymer fittings for PEX too.
ActionDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #14

pex fittings

the last whole house i bid in both for customer and i did get and have done the job. just in material the copper was 600 dollars more not to mention the extra days in labor so i can understand how he would lose a bid trying to compete with pex
Old 02-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #15
Civil Engineer

pex fittings

I get it that copper has been around a long time, and has some desirable properties. But allow me to point out that prior to copper, lead pipe was common, along with lead based solder fiittings. Lead has been in use since Roman times, that does not mean it was good for you then, or now. Similarly, wood stave pipe has been around since at least 2500 BC, rarely used anymore. Galvanized steel piping has been in use for at least 100 years, not much used for water anymore.

Just because copper has a long history does not by itself make copper superior. PEX has been in use in Europe for over 50 years, and is clearly lower cost than copper, at least with copper at $4 per pound. And just as a note, my 1959 house was done entirely in copper, with 50/50 solder. I had to replace ALL the piping about 8 years ago because the acidic water in my house ate holes in all the pipes, and some of the fittings. I used PEX. Nothing against copper, but it isn't the savior of the planet.

The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
jaydevries (02-23-2012)